RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ColinBrough

Most likely cause of complete failure, N36L

ColinBrough

I've a N36L Proliant Microserver that has been happily sitting on a shelf doing NAS type stuff since 2011. I was away last week, and came back to it dead. It now won't switch on at all. No lights, no flickers of LEDs when power on switch pressed, nothing - so no real diagnostics! Checked fuse, checked mains power, all OK.

I'm presuming its a blown PSU - is that a good guess?

And, given the age of the machine, I'm suspecting it is likely to be best to simply replace it with a Gen8 replacement rather than faffing around trying to replace a PSU (which may or may not be the cause of the failure). Or is it worth trying to salvage?

(I'm hoping the disks in the machine survived the failure - there's a 6TB WD Green, a 2TB WD Green, a 250GB Seagate and a 750GB Samsung in there at the moment. Running XUbunutu.)

Trig0r

I've still got my old Gen7 behind me, its an N40L but works.

I also have a dead Gen7 as well, same as yours, stripped it down, nothing appeared to be wrong but just didnt wanna power up..

rich1983

For £125 wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an MS G8? Unless you can get a cheap PSU to test it...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ColinBrough

Did indeed end up deciding just to replace with an MS G8. Only problem I'm having is getting the disks out of their caddies from the N36L - yes, I've manage to misplace the service tool, and its not identical for the G8...

JackoUK

If your local computer shop can't help, I could lend you a tool.

Joe_Miner
On 6/10/2017 at 5:56 PM, ColinBrough said:

Did indeed end up deciding just to replace with an MS G8. Only problem I'm having is getting the disks out of their caddies from the N36L - yes, I've manage to misplace the service tool, and its not identical for the G8...

You should be able to get a T10 at any Hardware store 

Capture03.JPG