Calby

Can every VM share hardware resources?

ShadowPeo    29
ShadowPeo
On 6/2/2017 at 3:48 PM, Calby said:

If you share the harddrives trough shared folders every data transfer 'll go trough the network right? In that case, I'll not do that as then I'll take resources from the network card to do internal data transfer or did I misunderstand that?

Depends on how you configure the virtual switching, there is ways to do it without it going over the physical card. What it does essentially boil down to though is if you are wanting to use Hyper-V and have disks being shared, you need to use network shares, ISCSI will not work properly with changes when utilizing and NTFS partition, this is why Failover Cluster installs use the CSV filesystem, and you cannot share a VHD or a physical disk between VM's any more than you can share a SATA drive between two physical machines

Calby    6
Calby
On 6/5/2017 at 6:34 AM, ShadowPeo said:

Depends on how you configure the virtual switching, there is ways to do it without it going over the physical card. What it does essentially boil down to though is if you are wanting to use Hyper-V and have disks being shared, you need to use network shares, ISCSI will not work properly with changes when utilizing and NTFS partition, this is why Failover Cluster installs use the CSV filesystem, and you cannot share a VHD or a physical disk between VM's any more than you can share a SATA drive between two physical machines

I have decided to install Ubuntu server to run NextCloud on trough Hyper-V.
Do I need to install the drivers for my microserver gen8?
I got the drivers on the SPP IMG-file I guess it's for linux also on there, but do I really need that on a VM machine?
I'll not run any UI on it, strickt console.

ShadowPeo    29
ShadowPeo
On 6/7/2017 at 6:36 AM, Calby said:

I have decided to install Ubuntu server to run NextCloud on trough Hyper-V.
Do I need to install the drivers for my microserver gen8?
I got the drivers on the SPP IMG-file I guess it's for linux also on there, but do I really need that on a VM machine?
I'll not run any UI on it, strickt console.

I have never bothered with the driver pack, as like you I have console only for my Ubuntu servers. Never had an issue but then my Ubuntu servers really only run LAMP stacks and NGINX