RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Shane

No Backups - Fail at 1%

Shane

Hi Folks
Similar conversation to the last forum post.

Have WHS2011 backing up 4 PCs
2 backup fine (1 x W7 and 1 x W10)

The other two are W10.
One of these is brand new, just installed all software and the communicator but the backup fails at 1%, I guess the backup never actually starts.
The wording is "Unsuccessful" (Picture provided).

As a non technical person I used to love the way WHS2011 operated, but trying to solve an issue is an absolute pain.
Would love for WHS2011 to actually work on the other 2 PCs but perhaps a different backup solution might be on the cards.

Has anyone else had this issue .... and solved it.

Shane
Sydney - Australia

Screeshot.jpg

TomP

I've had two recurrences of similar troubles over several months and both turned out to be failing HDDs. In both cases, some PCs continued to back up OK whilst one particular laptop would not backup for several months. Windows disk tests failed to find any fault with either HDD.

I use StableBit Scanner (and DrivePool) which did eventually email messages about impending failures so it was possible to identify the 2 separate suspect disks and they we quite easy to replace and reconfigure.

Drashna Jaelre

Is this just one system that is doing this, or is it multiple?

If it's multiple, it's a server side issue. If it's just one client, then it's ... that client. 

In either case, check "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs" for the "backup" logs, and see if that points to anything.

If you're not sure ... feel free to email them to me at "help@drashna.net" and I can take a look. 

TomP
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, Drashna Jaelre said:

Is this just one system that is doing this, or is it multiple?

If it's multiple, it's a server side issue. If it's just one client, then it's ... that client. 

In either case, check "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs" for the "backup" logs, and see if that points to anything.

If you're not sure ... feel free to email them to me at "help@drashna.net" and I can take a look. 

When Chris helped me with my server that had failing HDDs, it was only one of the 3 PCs that the server had a problem backing up, the other 2 backed up fine through all the trouble, although the cause was server HDD problems that Chris / Drashna can also help you with.

• Like 1