RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Win 7 Indexing & SSD install

Kurt Hanson

I would still not disable the service and only remove it off the drive properties. Good luck and let me know if that works better.

In this case, if you uncheck indexing in drive properties, wouldn't that have the same result as disabling Windows Search service? We're talking about a single-drive laptop, right?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• mrossco

• Kurt Hanson

Top Posters In This Topic

No un checking the indexing in the drive properties will not disable the service. That would just tell the service not to index that drive only.

Thanks for the clarification. The SSD is the only drive on the laptop. The only spindles being searched are on the Homeserver which has its index service running.

In this scenario, the index service on your laptop will attempt to connect to the index service on the Home Server in order to leverage the index already built on the server. You do not need to build/maintain an index of Home Server items on your local machine.

In this scenario, the index service on your laptop will attempt to connect to the index service on the Home Server in order to leverage the index already built on the server. You do not need to build/maintain an index of Home Server items on your local machine.

That's pretty cool. Learn something new every day.

From toggling the "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" flag on a local test folder, the search function on the file's contents only works when the flag is on.

Search based on the file name works regardless of that file flag provided the "Windows Search" service is running.

For my SSD, I think I'll go back to 1) running the search service; 2) add to "Included Locations" whatever locations I might want to find file names in; and 3) set the "index file contents" flag on those select folders I want to search thoroughly.

Guest no-control

I skimmed through the post, so if this was answered I apologize.

What's the purpose of turning off the search service for an SSD? I've never used the intel SSD toolbox or whatever either. File indexing being turned off isn't great if you frequently use the search function to find files and should be considered optional. If this is a single disk W7 system the install should be simple. Put in SSD install o/s, done! Other than page file & system restore, there shouldn't be any "optimization" going on. The BYOB list was for multidisk desktop systems.

• 4 weeks later...

Does it make the search on the server or on the "searching" machine/client. In other words, does the index service on the client make a search request on the WHS or is the index of the shared folders on the WHS shares transfered to the client which then makes the search?

and on a related topic, the reason for turning indexing off on an ssd is to save writes correct? Not only there is no real world difference in the search speed?

I would imagine there would be a real world difference between searching an index ssd vs a non index ssd as you still would have to read the entire drive in order to do the search and you can still only transfer data at 250 MB/s, you are searching 60+ GB, which takes some time to read even at 1/4 GB per second.

Does it make the search on the server or on the "searching" machine/client. In other words, does the index service on the client make a search request on the WHS or is the index of the shared folders on the WHS shares transfered to the client which then makes the search?

and on a related topic, the reason for turning indexing off on an ssd is to save writes correct? Not only there is no real world difference in the search speed?

I would imagine there would be a real world difference between searching an index ssd vs a non index ssd as you still would have to read the entire drive in order to do the search and you can still only transfer data at 250 MB/s, you are searching 60+ GB, which takes some time to read even at 1/4 GB per second.

Here's a question for the "turn off indexing" camp. How much writing does indexing really do after the initial indexing? You add a few files, they get indexed, right? Doesn't seem like much writing on average over the long haul. Is this thinking wrong?