itGeeks

Music CD Ripping Advice.

itGeeks    160
itGeeks

I have been given the project of ripping my daughter & Son in-laws music CD collection so they can stream them with Plex. I have never ripped music CD's so I was wondering what everyone was using for this task? I want to be able to select only certain tracks and I want Lossless Audio if available. A quick Google search showed that many people are using Exactaudiocopy (Free)

and dbPowerAmp (Paid).

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

jmwills    283
jmwills

Believe it or not, Windows Media Player isn't half bad.  Grabs good metadata as well.

• Like 1

nrf    94
nrf

I use EAC and rip to WAV, then I use Itunes to convert them to ALAC. If you are using something different from alac you can have EAC do rip 'straight to' that format. I got into EAC because it can compare the results to others' to make sure every bit is captured accurately.

Dave    277
Dave

Doesn't iTunes still rip lossless?  If you need it that high of a bit rate.

nrf    94
nrf

yes itunes can rip to alac or wav if you wish. I prefer the 'secure rip' given by EAC, especially if the disk is not pristine.

Edited by nrf

Jason    56
Jason

I did this a few years ago using EAC and ripping to FLAC. Was the standard then and may still be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

itGeeks    160
itGeeks

Sorry for the delay,

Ok so it seems EAC is popular among all you folks as well. Jason & nrf any tips/tricks I should know about before I start ripping other then making sure I enable 'secure rip'?

Thanks again for you all taking the time and to schoon for providing the link.

nrf    94
nrf

not sure you really need advice, but in case it can help someone here...

* go thru all of the EAC setup procedures, for example, how will the resulting files be organized into directories and how will each file be named, how to handle 'various artist' scenarios...(start with RTFM of course), and lots of initial setup for the reading drive's capabilities...

* check your process/results to make sure they are what you wished for before moving into mass production.

* have some plan/strategy for dealing with discs that may have damage

* and of course enjoy not having to remove any DRM from your discs.

for those who use itunes, when disks get 'iffy' itunes often considers the results successful but your music may not be as expected.

Jason    56
Jason
Sorry for the delay,
Ok so it seems EAC is popular among all you folks as well. Jason & nrf any tips/tricks I should know about before I start ripping other then making sure I enable 'secure rip'?
Thanks again for you all taking the time and to schoon for providing the link.

I will look to see whether I have the guide I followed or perhaps even the EAC settings I used. I ripped with my WSE12R2 server's CD-ROM even if installing apps is taboo. I do it on occasion to leverage the power of that always-on box. In fact, I even researched cd-rom hardware models that had the highest compatibility rating for ripping.
Heck I even bought a spare and may still have one wrapped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk