RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 OS Install

Spodgy

Hi,

I recently bought a Gen8 as my first home file server along with a 3TB drive and an 8 gb Dimm. I have installed the hardware, and the disk and memory are being recognised at startup. I have not configured the RAID controller into an array.

I have an ethernet connection, but I did not purchase an optical drive. I downloaded Ubuntu Server, and used Rufus to burn it to a USB Key.

Using the USB boot, I have been able to get through the installation process - however, the server will not reboot from the hard disk. Initially the hard disk boot was not available, but I switched the mode to ACHI in the BIOS screen.

I had selected drive encryption as part of the install, and on the next boot the system prompted me for the encryption password. I intended the server to run unattended, so I re-ran the setup and changed the drive formatting to unencrypted. On reboot, I received Grub Arch Independent missing elf magic errors. I have accessed Intelligent Provisioning, upgraded the firmware, reset the drive array and tried to install again, but am still receiving different grub errors on install (missing grub-pc).

Intelligent Provisioning provides its own managed installation options, but the OS/Installation options are a little restricted - 2012R2 is the only option for USB installation.

Can I ask:

- Am I missing some of the configuration options?

- Should I be installing through Intelligent Provisioning or is it OK to use the USB key at startup?

- Is Ubuntu Server non a viable choice for Gen8s? 

- Is buying a DVD drive a sensible option at this point and installing media from there?

Thanks in advance

Jim

- Should I be installing through Intelligent Provisioning or is it OK to use the USB key at startup?

No just boot the usb and install, do some software raid if you want to use ubuntu, raid card recommended.

- Is Ubuntu Server non a viable choice for Gen8s? 

You can install ubuntu on the Gen8

little side note, if you just install ubuntu in achi mode, ilo does not detect HD temp, so ilo is going to increase the fan speed by, in my case 3%.
What i did was creating a raid 1 using Smart Array tools, with my 2 wd red 1 or 2 TB, and then booted centos installer and blacklisted the ahci drivers on load and loaded in the red hat linux b120i(fakeraid) drivers, then centos could see my fakeraid, but i would not recommend this for you if your not familiar with centos or rhel, i came from Debian and i had some trouble to get it to work.

- Is buying a DVD drive a sensible option at this point and installing media from there?

All the time i have been working with my Gen8 i had no reason to use a dvd drive

Hi Mathias,

Thank you very much - I was getting bogged down in the vast amount of options, and I really wasn't sure if I was on the right path. I figured I could get the server up and running quickly and research the technologies afterwards.

Ubuntu Server has now installed - you mentioned a 1 or 2TB drive. My drive is 3TB, and I remember reading somewhere about 2TB maximum boot drives. The Ubuntu installation wizard didn't mention anything - it was happy to partition 3TB and install Grub. I re-ran the setup using 2TB and the boot is working fine now.

Do you think RAID is worthwhile with 1 HDD?

I chose Ubuntu Server for it's competitive pricing (ahem) and because I was familiar with running instances through Virtualbox. I'm a .NET developer, and am hoping to try out some of the cross platform tools. You mention a number of linux distributions in your post - which would you choose and why?

Thanks again

Jim

"I remember reading somewhere about 2TB maximum boot drives."

The GEN8 MS is a BIOS machine and BIOS can only boot to drives at most 2TB in size. So 1TB of your 3TB drive is unusable. No big deal now that you have everything working. Many on this forum have repurposed the useless OD bay and allied SATA connector with a small SSD drive, improving performance and freeing up all 4 HDD bays for large disks. There is no reason why you could not go 3TB HDD (using 2TB) for boot ... and then 10TB, 10TB, 10TB for data, providing you declare the data disks as type GPT.

"RAID with 1 HDD" - does not exist.

When you use the HP Disk Administrator to declare a single disk RAID 0 you are effectively saying "no RAID, just a single disk". Presumably you are backing up your development projects to another machine .. or they are skunkworks and you can afford to lose the lot.

"You mention a number of linux distributions in your post - which would you choose and why?"

Wall-to-wall Windows here ... but if I was going to pick a distro for general purpose use I would choose MINT MATE because of its similarity to Windows.