RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

GT 1030 on Gen8

OctavianH

I think the new GT 1030 video card will be a good solution for MicroServer Gen8. It is cheap (70EUR) and seems powerful enough to do a lot of stuff:

https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gt-1030-2gb-gddr5#spec

If anyone orders one and tries it, please share your impressions. I am also interested in the future for this one.

Would be nice to know also the Fan Speed from iLO while using it and on idle.

Edited by OctavianH
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2017 at 11:21 PM, OctavianH said:

I think the new GT 1030 video card will be a good solution for MicroServer Gen8. It is cheap (70EUR) and seems powerful enough to do a lot of stuff:

https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gt-1030-2gb-gddr5#spec

If anyone orders one and tries it, please share your impressions. I am also interested in the future for this one.

Would be nice to know also the Fan Speed from iLO while using it and on idle.

Im very interested to see if this card fits and works fine inside the gen8 cases.  Ive just bought a second one and intend to use it as an htpc, but would like to know it fits before i buy one

Given I have a gtx1050ti working in my G8 I have no doubt the 1030 low profile will fit and operate ok. 

It's a matter of choosing one where the heat sink does not foul the power connector or internal USB socket. 

Note: I'd choose the passive variant for silent operation. 

Edited by fury

A GT 1030 passive low profile is ideal for several purposes. For example, I have the Gen8 in the same room with a 4K TV from 2014. The integrated player of the TV is old and does not receive updates anymore, and even if the TV is 4K I cannot play too much content on it. I am thinking in the future to use a dedicated Video card for Gen8 with HDMI port which supports 4K resolution. In this way I can play on TV at 4K video content. As far as I know GT 1030 is the only low profile/passive/single slot video card which supports this resolution.

Edited by OctavianH
  • Like 1

I hope you guys don't mind, I split this off to a separate topic to make it easier for folks to find in the future!

The main issue with microserver gen8 it's that is unable to pass through pci-x to other virtual machines due to a bug in the bios.

On 26.5.2017 at 9:20 PM, abpostelnicu said:

The main issue with microserver gen8 it's that is unable to pass through pci-x to other virtual machines due to a bug in the bios.

I'm trying to passthrough my new GT1030 on my microserver gen8. IOMMU doesn't seem to work, therefore Linux refuses to do so.

Is there a fix or more information for your statement? Thanks.

I'm trying to passthrough my new GT1030 on my microserver gen8. IOMMU doesn't seem to work, therefore Linux refuses to do so.
Is there a fix or more information for your statement? Thanks.

Unfortunately there is not, it's a problem in the bios.