RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
i-bystander

Newegg - Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ HD Media Player $39.99 shippedNewegg - Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ HD Media Player $39.99 shipped

usacomp2k3

I don't know yet. Won't have a chance to play with it until next week at the earliest.

dvn

Got mine and checked it out tonight.

• Netflix - plays whatever you've queued from your computer
  • Network shares - automatically found my server shares (not sure how). Plays my .vob movie rips, but I there seems to be a slight pause at the transition between each separate .vob file of the entire movie. I will double-check this tomorrow.
  • Other Internet features - YouTube and the rest all seem to work fine, but I didn't spend a lot of time exploring in depth.
  • The remote is acceptable, but definitely not great. You have to really aim it.

Overall, I don't really like this product, and I'm pretty sure I'll return it. The UI is plain ol' ugly at best, and navigation would not be friendly to a non-geek. Frankly, I was disappointed by its crudeness. I don't expect anyone in this household will want to use it.

This is too bad because the unit seems to work halfway decently. I'm sure I could rip my movies to ISO's if it turns out that .vob movies cannot smoothly transition smoothly between individual .vob's. Again, I'll check to verify one way or another on this tomorrow. By contrast, the product that keeps coming to mind is the WD HD Live Hub (I think that's what it's called). From what I've heard, it has a very nice UI, includes a 1TB drive, and I believe I heard that the navigation is decent. But it's $200, and I don't really need a built-in drive. So, I'm sticking with the HTPC. I've got a brand new Logitech Harmony One to check out in the coming days.

Now if you only had $39 to spend, I suppose you could grab the Seagate. It works. But do not expect anything more than basic functionality.

dvn

AJ? What do you think of it?