RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HPE ML310e Gen8 v2 - P420 Controller wrong temperature readings from iLO 4 and HP SSA - overheating?

Barty

Hello there ;-) First post here ;-) I posted similar question on HP forum but no response from anyone ; - (

So we have upgraded from B120i controller to P420 - sitting in Slot 3.

We have RAID 10 setup with 4 Sata - 1TB HDDs.

Server is sitting in room without Air-conditioning. Room temps are between 25 - 29 Celcius. Now, it's been 3 years that our server is running 24h/day without any failure.

All server components are up to date with firmware and drivers (double checked). I'm using regulary ProLiant Service Packs (latest is from April 2017). Among others: iLO has 2.53 firmware, P420 has 8.00).

Temps reported by iLO for all components are very cool, except P420 controller.

No matter what temperature is in the room P420 controller temps are always:

- reported by iLO - 85 (controller)

- reported by HP SSA - 88/43/28 (controller/cache module/battery)

I know, that controller temps goes up and down only from fans going faster and slower. Normally, for 3 years, fans were at: 5% and 9% (front and rear one) no matter room temps. Now, after P420 installation they are at: 14% and 23% raising to 15% and 29% when room temp is 29 Celcius. (still rather silent to me which is nice).

I also found this statement here: (as a response to author article)

http://www.evilbox.ro/other/hp-smart-array-p420-2gb-fbwc-2-ports-int-sas-controller-review/#comment-12310

What slot do you put it in? In mine it also always shows me 85° C. No matter if its 28° C in the summer in the room (AC once failed), or 15-16° C in the Winter with opened window in the cellar.
Sometimes 86° C. It was brand new and always showed me this.
Also mine has now the cache modul locked, because i needed to unplug the power 2-3x and now it thinks its broken. The module worked fine in a DL380 G8 LAB Server at work for 2 Weeks, no problems after some restarts and otherwise 24/7. Any idea how I could unlock this thing again? 🙂

Now, don't get me wrong, nothing is bad with my server and setup from my point of view, I'm just curious, why iLO 4 and HP SSA give me different temps readings. From what I know after forum reading, this controller had some issues with different servers but appereantly all flaws were patched with firmware. Some users have temps from 50 C to 90 C and I'm almost 100% sure that it's because from false sensor readings or something similar.

Moreover, when I check the temp with my hand ;-) close to the radiator I'm almost 100% sure that those reading are false.

Any tips?

Bart

The 85c number comes up often in these discussions. I think it may be the upper limit for iLo on certain devices. If it were mine I would set up a fan/blower to blow air directly on the heatsink of the P420 and see what the numbers look like in SSA and iLo.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• BacksBen
      By BacksBen
      Hello,
      I am using https://www.digi.com/products/networking/infrastructure-management/console-servers/digi-connect-it-16-48 (Digi Connect IT 16), and connecting by LAN to a Windows PC.
      I need to add 2 connectors. Can I connect a serial device to a serial port in PC and see it as a COM port in the local PC?
      Can Serial to Ethernet (https://www.serial-server.net/serial-device-server/serial-to-ethernet/) do this? How to configure it?
      Thank you,
      Ben.

• Giuseppolino87
      By Giuseppolino87
      Hi everyone, today I wanted to install esxi 6.7 to try out the various functions, my question is the following, I have a server where I have installed esxi in an SSD and I have two other 4 tb disks so 8 tb total.  I would like to make sure that when I create a virtual machine in this case I will install the various virtual machines in the SSD and use the two disks for data.  So how can I do this?  Thank you very much for those who can help me.
    • gru
      By gru
      Hi! I am planning to buy a Microserver Gen10 Plus E-2224 for a small business, and want to add as much disk space as possible. I already have the older Gen10 with 4x4TB HDDs in RAID10 (effective capacity 8TB) and a 2TB SSD in the 5th slot (which is missing on the new G10 plus). The max stated capacity on the HPE site seems to be limited with their own enterprise HDDs, so I'd like to see if I can go for bigger disks. The server would be running a sort of an application which collects lots of data from devices, and the data tends to grow over time (1-2TB per year), and I'd prefer not to worry about the capacity for the next several years.

My primary concern is the max capacity (max single drive capacity + max total RAID capacity with the Smart Array S100i) I can reliably install. If possible, some actual setup which has been shown to work with 32GB RAM and its limited 180W power supply? I was also planning on upgrading it to 32GB. If I am buying a 16GB RAM server, does this means it has both slots occupied with 8GB modules and I need a 2x32GB kit? For the os SSD, I won't have the PCIe slot available because we need to insert a certain GPS PCIe card that the server uses for time synchronization. So, if I want an SSD, this means I should use something like 1xSSD + 3xHDD in RAID5, instead of RAID10?  
      I've been planning to install 16TB Seagate Exos X16 drives, with rated max operating power at 10W (6.3W for random reads/writes). Does this seam feasible?

Thanks a lot for your tips!
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Does anyone know if it is possible to get Agentless Management Service (AMS) running on Debian/Ubuntu Linux? It is always showing as Not Available in the iLO page and I have only ever seen this active in Windows.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

Has anyone around here been successful in setting up Proxmox on a Gen8 using a HBA for storage?