RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

StarTech PEXSAT344SFF Card - Server boot issue?

benmmellor

1 hour ago, benmmellor said:

I ended up with a simple SATA expander card - StarTech 4-port PCI-e SATA3 RAID Controller (PEXSAT34RH)- doing a fine job and runs pretty cool.

I've got my disks just set up as JBOD and using DrivePool :

Pool 1 is 2x 2TB Barracuda's for basic storage of work data backups and MP3's etc (This also replicates out to an external USB3 attached enclosure with a 3TB WD RED drive.

Pool 2 is 2x 5TB WD Red, 1x 3TB WD RED and 1x 6TB WD Red where I store my media for PLEX.

Well, I have to use this SFF card since I'll need to use it as passthrough for VMWare...

But again,does it need a fan at all?

It has a fairly large heatsink on it which on mine seems to be fine enough - I'm not seeing large temperatures in the server due to it. Possibly because I'm just passign through the card rather than have it doing any processing of RAID etc which means the Marvell chip has nothing much to do.

So in my case - I've not upgraded the cooling of the server or added a fan to the card.

11 minutes ago, benmmellor said:

It has a fairly large heatsink on it which on mine seems to be fine enough - I'm not seeing large temperatures in the server due to it. Possibly because I'm just passign through the card rather than have it doing any processing of RAID etc which means the Marvell chip has nothing much to do.

So in my case - I've not upgraded the cooling of the server or added a fan to the card.

Good to know, thanks! I read the specs from Marvell says that it has 1W TDP so I assume that shouldn't generate a lot of heat, but good to confirm aobut it.