Dave

Netgear Orbi Add On Satellite RBW30

Dave

New for May 2017 is the RBW30 Add On Satellite for the Netgear Orbi System.  I'll get it out of the box and get it up and running.  Good and bad about it and will show you the other add ons.

• Like 1

Jason

Eager to watch this. Ordered both the RBW30 and another RBS30 to extend our coverage. The price difference isn't significant. Plan to keep one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jagowar

Will be curious what the speeds are like...  looks very similar in concept to the amplifi system (which is what I ended up going with). 

whsbuss

Tried all the mesh products and ended up with eero. Solid as a rock

Jason
Will be curious what the speeds are like...  looks very similar in concept to the amplifi system (which is what I ended up going with). 

Orbi has consistently outperformed virtually all other consumers "mesh" wireless solutions. Although not a consumer grade product, it also outperformed Open-Mesh for me.

Dave

Orbi won all of my speed tests. I still struggle with the app. I'm also needing an outdoor solution and thinking about going a different manufacturer for that. Possibly keep inside Orbi or eero. Haven't decided as I also love the Synology router features and the Circle box.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jason

I've just received both the Orbi RBS50 and RBW30 units. Am debating which to keep and where to place it.

Currently have the RBS30 setup in a spare, attached garage (workshop) at furthest end of house from the Orbi router. Clients appear to roam effectively between units. Signal strength too seems impressive considering the house is all brick construction.

Even considered keeping both and just plugging the RBW30 in somewhere (outdoors, covered)?

Jason

Since adding the RBS30 RBS50 at furthers end of our house, it seems to have expanded coverage not only to our entire driveway and garages, but also virtually our entire lot. Had thought about keeping the RBW30 to place somewhere out near the pool, but it doesn't appear to be needed. Orbi is awesome.

Edited by Dave
For clarification. Strikethrough shown in post.

Dave

I edited that last Post Jason.  So you put the RBS50 at the end of a house and getting good outdoor coverage?  Just to clarify that is the AC3000 TriBand Satellite that covers 2500 Sq. Ft.  That's a lot of wifi!  Did you check speed outdoors?  

I really want to use an outdoor rated system in our pool house area but I am betting the RBS50 would cover it up nicely.  Since moving back to Orbi I have had really good results. One downstairs, one upstairs, and the RBW30 wall mount on an outside wall for a little more coverage.  I've also put "Circle Home" back in action.

I do miss the Synology router and the eero app. Not a perfect world yet!

Jason

Thanks Dave for edit. I got too "30 happy."

Yes, added the AC3000 unit at far end of house and now, between the 3 units, we seem to have much more consistent and far-reaching coverage. Prior I had a RBR50 at one end of house, a RBS50 at center of 2nd floor (inside closest). Got wifi throughout the house, but not outside or in garages. We don't have basements here.

Adding this 3rd RBS50 was a game-changer. Now strong wifi coverage from one end to the other (indoors) and from edge to edge of our large lot (outdoors). When I mow (I enjoy it, like therapy for me, strange; no longer pay someone) I wanted wifi coverage for Spotify vs using up my shared family cellular plan.