RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RESET 24 - Wiring and cameras for your pool house

SpivR

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SpivR said:

I was a guest last week on the MPU podcast.  It was a lot of fun and may be of interest to folks here so I hope it is ok to post a link:

Mac Power Users #402: Home Automation with Robert Spivack: http://bit.ly/2yYgGiD

Will give it a listen.  I love home automation stuff.

Just finished setting up some Xiaomi door sensors with my smarthings hub which is then tied into homebridge so I can integrate it all with HomeKit.  Ya, its a long route but for $8 a sensor I really can't complain.  My house is all HomeKit so I find some very interesting ways to get various things to work together.

I was all interested Intel I saw what mpu meant. I now have six cameras and had to stop adding because blue Iris is maxing out my CPU. I am thinking about trying another product. I have read Milestone XP is a good product but haven't looked at it yet.

How did the VLAN thing turn out?  I was thinking of doing something like this when I finally get my wiring ran for the POE cameras.  I was also looking at a separate wireless system for the wire free stuff that I have.

19 minutes ago, Dave said:

How did the VLAN thing turn out?  I was thinking of doing something like this when I finally get my wiring ran for the POE cameras.  I was also looking at a separate wireless system for the wire free stuff that I have.

I haven't had time to research it so I haven't set it up yet. I have never set up a VLAN so I don't know if it is easy or hard. I do need to do it because my Xboxes show the dreaded network slow, or whatever it says, a lot now. Used to never do that.

I found too many limitations in researching how I might use a VLAN that I have shelved the project.  I just don't see enough (theoretical) security benefit to be worth the severe limitations on configuration and usage.

VLANs are not well suited for segmentation/isolation of IoT devices from the main network for practical usage.  VLANs were invented/implemented for corporate traffic management on large LAN networks in Enterprise deployments. (It certainly helped my former employer, Cisco, justify the higher prices on all their switches and routers).