SpivR

RESET 24 - Wiring and cameras for your pool house

SpivR    8
SpivR
On 8/18/2017 at 0:10 PM, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:

I am still playing with motion settings and record quality for my continuous monitoring but I am up and running on my first two cameras. I have several more to be delivered tomorrow. Only ordering a few at a time because I sometimes get pulled away and may not have time to set up a lot of them at once.

Looks like you are up and running.  Are you going to use the smartphone app also for remote viewing?

ImTheTypeOfGuy    30
ImTheTypeOfGuy
What model cameras are you using with your system? Am in the market to add some indoor/outdoor to my WSE12R2 box running Blue Iris.

Amcrest IP2M-842E and IP4M-1025E.

Looks like you are up and running.  Are you going to use the smartphone app also for remote viewing?

Yes I am using it. There are some bugs but overall a decent app.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• cskenney
      By cskenney
      Has anyone seen the Sense home energy monitor?  I stumbled across it today while looking up some other stuff on the internet.

https://sense.com/

I am quite curious about this product and the claims it is making.  By placing a set of current probes on the primary conductor lines that bring power into your home this device is supposed to be able to recognize when devices turn ON/OFF.  It claims to be able to sense common household appliances like washers, dryers and refrigerators.  Here is the full description from the web site.

Every electrical device has a unique electronic signature — its own voice. There is a noisy conversation happening inside your home as every device that’s turned on is talking. All of them. All at once.
      The Sense home energy monitor listens to those voices through current sensors on the main breakers in your electric panel. It records them millions of times per second. We then apply multidomain device signature detection algorithms to distinguish one appliance from another — to recognize each individual voice.

Right now this product is in the early launch stage.  It looks like it is pushing data to a cloud and then an iOS app pulls the data down for you to view.  It's not inexpensive at the current price of $199.

I am really curious what it is able to do and what it can tell me (especially about the energy use of my major appliances).  I would definitely like something that can tell my wife how much it costs to run the dryer an extra 20 minutes just to fluff the clothes that were left in over night and got wrinkled.

So...I decided to place an order for one.  It says it may be June before I get this unit but once it arrives I will report back on how it works.
    • ETBrown
      By ETBrown
      Many of the light switches in my home are connected to 20A circuit breakers, and unfortunately the Z-wave and ZigBee automated switches that I've found are only rated for 15A (if any amperage rating is listed at all).  Does anyone know of a model z-wave or zigbee switch or dimmer that is rated for use on a 20A circuit?

If there aren't 20A switches available, do electrical codes allow 15A switches on a 20A line if there are only lights controlled by the switch?  My understanding was that a 15A switch could not be used on a 20A line because a short could burn out the switch before tripping the breaker and start a fire.
    • RobWu
      By RobWu
      Hi all,

Just finished installing my new Gen8 with 2012 Ess. R2, as a WHSv1 replacement, and copied the data over to the newly created shares via a HD, after some testing of the new server.
      This all went without any issues.
      Other than creating new users, and the shares I haven't really set up anything else so far. And I haven't installed the connector yet, but did uninstall the old WHSv1 connector from the PC's.

This morning I accessed the shares for the first time from my PC, and to my surprise my up/down speeds are horribly slow. Down is appr. 10-15Mb/s, and up is appr. 1-2 Mb/s!!!
      On my Surface2 it's even worse. So... this is unworkable, especially because I deal with files that are quite large.
      As this always worked with the whsv1 setup (PC's up/down appr. 55-60Mb/s, WIfi appr. half of that), I can only assume there's something different in the 2012 Ess.R2 setup.

I browsed the forum here, and found some posts on this, but getting a bit confused on all the possible issues.

My setup atm is as follows:
      Internet is coming in via cable, the cable box is also the DHCP server, giving out IP's to the PC's. (192.168.178.0xx, 255.255.255.0)
      The cable box is connected to a unmanaged Netgear switch, as are all other PC's and the new server. Like in the WHSv1 situation.

so:  Internet -->> cablebox (DCHP) -->> Netgear switch <<-- PC's + Server

The new 2012 server has been given a static IP (192.168.178.100 - same as the old WHSv1 box), and DNS settings are set the same as the PC clients get from the cable box.
      All PC's / Surface2 / server can see/access each other without any problems.

As suggested in some of the other threads, running a ping and tracert to/from the PC's and server will work just fine. Also a basic tracert to e.g. Google.com from the server works, so Internet is working too.

So atm I'm a bit at a loss what to do next. Hopefully it's something very basic, and solved easily.

cheers,

rob

p.s. original post moved from 2012 essentials thread, sorry about that...
    • ajac63
      By ajac63
      I'm looking to build my very first home-network server that will have WiFi connectivity and just need some help and advice
      I've not decided yet if it will be a simple home-group set up using existing Windows-7 64-bit or if I'll be using WHS, but my main question is, would the server need a WiFi network adapter as well as a WiFi router, or can I get away with just the router?  I realise that client machines/PCs will need network adapters of course.
      MY other question is, if I want to have Gigabit-ethernet, do the client PCs as well as the server need Gigabit-ethernet adapters?  Thanks if anyone can help.
    • TheChallinor
      By TheChallinor
      Hi,

Currently running the old and unsupported Bay version of the custom N54L firmware and looking to upgrade to Windows 8.1

Appreciate there is an issue with the NIC stopping the upgrade as it's not supported, although there is a HP bios upgrade to fix this bug. 

Obviously if I flash the bios to the latest HP version I will loose Sata II speeds on the ports that HP don't support OR I could get a NIC and keep the bios as it is.

Just looking for ideas / suggestions on what other people have done, etc.