axoid    8
axoid

I've used VPNs for a couple of years from some of my devices to protect myself when travailing or getting to content that some filter is blocking, but now I'm working to setup a VPN to connect into my home network securely. This is the one remaining use case that keeps me running WHS, not that I'm in a rush to turn off my two 2011 boxes.

I'm currently working on setting up a Raspberry Pi 3 to run the PiVPN server. I've gotten the server setup and the routers forwarding the port, but I haven't gotten round to setting up a client to use it.

Has anyone else setup a home VPN? Any gotchas to watch out for? Are there another solutions that I should be looking into?

Thanks,

rich1983    5
rich1983

I too am interested in doing this! I hate using free WiFi anywhere because you never know who is hosting it!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Drashna Jaelre    152
Drashna Jaelre

I have Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials, which "comes with" a VPN server.    I also use RDP Gateway on it, which encrypts RDP traffic, as well. 

So yeah, definitely a good idea to use a VPN.  Also, WHSv1 and WHS2011 both support VPN server functionality, as well. Just requires a bit more work.

rich1983    5
rich1983

If my firewall supports VPN, would that be the better way to do it? Or use Windows?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Drashna Jaelre    152
Drashna Jaelre

Honestly?  Go with Windows. 

You get better "integration" with user accounts, but much more importantly, you will get security updates fixing exploits much more regularly.