RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Windows 7 - problem with Network Discovery

dvn

You use HomeGroup?

usacomp2k3

My wife does ;-) Between her laptop and desktop.

dvn

My wife does ;-) Between her laptop and desktop.

But you're not seeing the same problem as I've been having? I wonder if anyone with a Netgear WNR3500 router is experiencing this.

britishbob

I use the 3300 but I have no problems seeing the other computers on the network. Apart from punching holes in the firewall for the server it is unaltered. So have you manually done that or let W.H.S. do it?

I sometimes get some tardiness with seeing or opening networked computers which leads me to ask....is something going to sleep?

There is a setting in Win 7 which allows devices to be put to sleep to save power, I always uncheck network cards.

As to the occasional loss of internet I do get that from time to time but I also got that on a couple of Linksys routers.

It always seemed to happen when high speed traffic was happening. Came to the conclusion that router was misreading this as a denial of service attack.

Just scanned the thread briefly so I hope this is helpful...If not you have my permission to shoot me slowly

dvn

I use the 3300 but I have no problems seeing the other computers on the network. Apart from punching holes in the firewall for the server it is unaltered. So have you manually done that or let W.H.S. do it?

I haven't touched the Windows firewall. As far as the router goes, I've manually configured the remote access ports for the server.

I sometimes get some tardiness with seeing or opening networked computers which leads me to ask....is something going to sleep?
Good thought, but the connection can be fine one moment and bad the next. I sometimes cannot connect even though I was connected a minute before. It's like one minute it's fine, the next it's not.

There is a setting in Win 7 which allows devices to be put to sleep to save power, I always uncheck network cards.
I'll try that.

As to the occasional loss of internet I do get that from time to time but I also got that on a couple of Linksys routers.
Yes, I don't think I've ever owned a router that didn't have occasional connection problems. A reboot usually fixes it, but this is getting kind of ridiculous.

It always seemed to happen when high speed traffic was happening. Came to the conclusion that router was misreading this as a denial of service attack.

Just scanned the thread briefly so I hope this is helpful...If not you have my permission to shoot me slowly
No, I appreciate the input. It makes me think about things.

I made a few adjustments over the last couple days. I stopped using Address Reservation for my desktop PC. Only the server is using that. I also stopped using the router's QoS. Basically, I'm asking less of my router. Just keep me connected and that's it. I'll see how it goes.

Also, I just reinstalled and reconfigured my server, starting over fresh. With all the recent talk about DE, I reevaluated my use and decided I should take advantage of its features. I was only using ~1 TB of space of a 4 TB pool so I figured why not.

dvn

OK. This is a followup since it's been about a week since I did a factory reset of WHS. At this point, the connection problem seems to have been resolved. I guess I can chalk it up to corruption of some sort. On the bonus side, the server console opens consistently within 3-4 seconds. I'll chalk that up to a fresh installation combined with a new and faster system HDD.