RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Windows 7 - problem with Network Discovery

dvn

Windows 7's Network Discovery has a problem with consistently displaying networked computers in Windows Explorer. For example, my WHS can be present one moment, but 5 minutes it is not.

Sure, I can type \\Server into Windows Explorer and it will show up again but I don't understand why this happens.

If I turn off Network Discovery, then on, networked computers once again appear in Windows Explorer.

Any thoughts?

pcdoc

Any of these wireless? Any changes to your firewall setting? Does this happen to all computers or just one?

dvn

Yes, some are wireless. I don't know if anyone else has this problem. No change to firewall. It's like Network Discovery has to be 'rebooted'.

dvn

This has been happening throughout various installations/versions of W7. I suspect the router because of the problem where I occasionally have to reboot it to get RDP/Console connectivity even though I can ping the server. I was hoping that someone had seen this and could say that it's this or that setting.

kermi

This has been happening throughout various installations/versions of W7. I suspect the router because of the problem where I occasionally have to reboot it to get RDP/Console connectivity even though I can ping the server. I was hoping that someone had seen this and could say that it's this or that setting.

Hah! I just had this same thing happend to me, and after i went digging around for it, i found this in my System-eventlog:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: TermDD

Event Category: None

Event ID: 50

Date: 1.12.2010

Time: 20:12:53

User: N/A

Computer: VAULT14

Description:

The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client.

dvn

I see TermDD event #50 in my logs, 4 times in the last 3 days.

Interesting thing. I lost Internet just a few moments ago. Couldn't ping Google.com so I checked the router. I released and renewed IP address, DNS, all that stuff, but still could not connect to the Internet. On a hunch, I turned off wireless broadcast and lo and behold, Internet access was restored. I then turned wireless back on, and Internet was still accessible. So I turned down Wireless Network Mode from 'Up to 300Mbps' to 'Up to 145Mbps', which is the default setting, again on a hunch. I'll see how that works out.

I can see I'm going to have to be better about noting times and checking event logs as soon as these connection problems arise.

jmwills

Two things you can do are turn off IPv6 and check for an update on the firmware on the router.

dvn

Two things you can do are turn off IPv6 and check for an update on the firmware on the router.

Firmware is up to date. Can you tell me how IPv6 might be affecting the connection?

jmwills

Your server doesn't use it and I presuming you are still on Version 1. Unless your router supports IPv6 there is no reason to use it, IMO. Whenever I see this Discovery Issue, it always seems to point back to IPv6 being turned off. I have seen some posts that giving your machines an IP address reservation (not a static IP) can help with this issue too.

Personally, for an internal network I see no reason to be running IPv6; you gain nothing. In the real world, your ISP and their source provider, there is a need for it. These are just my opinions. I have only seen one MS platform that requires that IPv6 be turned on and that is SBS2008.

usacomp2k3

If you are going computer->computer on Vista or Windows 7, then it will use IPV6.