woad

VSphere-based HTPC/Media Centre

woad    1
woad

First post here, looking for help/advice

Have been using HP Microservers for a few years, lovely little boxes. Until recently, running one of the older boxes, an N40, with a Radeon 6450 with Openelec as a media-server. Or more precisely, a 'front end'; it pulls media (video, music) from my Synology NAS and plays it over TV/Amp. Kinda like a PopCornHour A300 on steroids. Works a treat. The box is being re-purposed as a firewall, because I bought a Gen8, and upgraded it with a Xeon 1265-L2, and the 6450.

What I would like to do is virtualise the HTPC as a VM - because the Xeon system is overkill for a media centre. My question is, is this possible?

ie

HPGen8 with VSphere 6.5, one or more VMs

VM 1 has 2 GB RAM, 1 dedicated [physical] CPU, and pass-through PCI-e (the 6450)

Presumably this is possible:

• VM1 will run Openelec, and have access to the 6450 for video acceleration (for mp4/mkv playback and hdmi audio), and display will be passed out to the amp/tv
  • 1 USB port passed to the VM, so I can run a wireless remote control.
  • Possibly a second USB port passed through so I can run a wireless keyboard with trackball

Intend to add other VMs, (perhaps a LInux based mail server, or MS SBS of some flavour), but thats for the future.

I'm new to VSphere/ESXi, so don't know much at all, let alone "what I don't know"...

My experiments with VSphere so far result in PCI-pass through to the VM, but the output from the video card is the VSphere boot-up screen 'frozen' when loading a shim, and all interaction with the VM is via a browser... not what I was hoping for. How do I redirect the VM's video output over the video card?

stehayes81    0
stehayes81

I have had both Hyper-V and Vsphere working on my Homelab Microserver without any issues running things like server2012r2, Plex server, Windows 7, and 10 Linux but I have never wanted to do the passthru although i have read on various posts this is possible.

nrf    94
nrf

passthru sounds neat, and simple enough for 'peripherals', but for a video card, how do you keep the host from accessing it while the vm is supposed to own it?

eddie563    17
eddie563
On 5/18/2017 at 2:48 PM, nrf said:

passthru sounds neat, and simple enough for 'peripherals', but for a video card, how do you keep the host from accessing it while the vm is supposed to own it?

the default video adapter would the the on-board set in bios i presume like you could do with the DL380 G6, (Could set, front only, back only or both) that way it would not use the card as the graphics display and would be available for passthrough.

• Thanks 1

nrf    94
nrf

great, please let us know how it goes. hopefully hdcp will work in that configuration.

woad    1
woad

@eddie563

Ok, so I need to enable the onboard VGA BIOS as default, then presumably do some "hacking about" in the config to obtain the PCI device number of the video card for passthru... I've seen a tutorial on that.

What do you mean by setting "front only, back only, or both"? 

Many thanks!

eddie563    17
eddie563

on a rack mounted server, like the model i mentioned. it has vga on the back and front. it was an example, but on the Microserver, as you know, you only have one.

• Thanks 1

woad    1
woad

@eddie563

Many thanks - find it best to ask questions just to clarify and confirm what I thought you said is what you meant, or not :-)

Cheers! Now to find time to try :D

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• H00GiE
      By H00GiE
      I'd like to start using vDGA on ESXi with my ML10v2.
      The host is running ESXi 6.0 u3 HP Customized.

If successful/possible i'd like to be running a Windows 10 VM with a Quadro k2000
      (in HCL list of vmware for vDGA)
      The VM will have up to 12GB ram and 4vcores and the Quadro card in passthrough mode this vm is meant to broadcast live video to twitch/youtube/fblive using Xsplit.
      live audio will be muxed in via virtual audio cable and local icecast server's stream.
      It does not matter if the remote desktop is stuttering or choppy as long as the broadcasted material is acceptable. 
      There will be a lot of video clips and overlays running, and i'll be run realtime 3D visualizations. the CPU and GPU would normally easily handle this workload.

A HP332T and NC112T will be replacing 3 out ot the 4ports of the NC364T as this card won't have enough bandwidth on 1x PCIe for 4x gbit connections.

(Considering the config of my ML10v2 (below in signature) and the fact i have a ml310e v2 front 80mm fan installed in server.) i'm just wondering:
      1: can the ML10 v2 handle all it's PCIe lanes being saturated (pcie3.0: 8x for Quadro K2000, 8x for LSI/CISCO RAID9271CV-8i PCIe2.0: 1x for HP 332T and 1x for NC112T)?
      2: will any of this config cause any bottleneck to any other hardware?
      3: is this a feasible configuration? (The resources are there to be used, it will not push other VM's resources.)
    • koth
      By koth
      I'm not sure I would call this a review, but I want to share some initial observations.

Boot time is slow. I never had a Microserver before, so this might well be faster than the previous generation, but this is still pretty slow.

It didn't come with any real instructions, the instructions just direct you to go to a url. The url is broken or not active yet. Nice one HPE.

I loaded esxi 6.5 immediately. During the install process, it hung at 27% for a very long time. So long that I was sure it was locked up, so I went to download an iso of windows server to install instead, but when I finished downloading it I found out the esxi install actually did finish eventually.

Installing a Windows Server 2016 Standard system as my first VM. For some reason it choked when I tried to start the VM with 5GB of RAM (out of the 7.5GB availible). Maybe the virtual dvd drive uses a lot of RAM? Set to 4GB, it starts fine. Still going through the install process at this point.

• Sweenie
      By Sweenie
      I was looking at the specifications of the new Microserver Gen10 and I find them a bit disappointing, so I'm considering buying a ML30 Gen9 (872658-421). I have a few questions concerning this server.
      Is this server configured with 4LFF Hot Plug or 4LFF Non Hot Plug cage? Does I come with drive bay caddies? Which ones I have to buy if I use non HPE HDDs? What kind of HDD do you recommend? NAS HDDs or other?
      I want run some virtual machines on it and use this server as file server, webserver, database server. If I install ESXi 6.5 on it, can I create a RAID 1 for the datastore? Or do I need a RAID controller and which do you recommend? If it's not possible or too expensive, I probably go for Windows Server 2016 or Server 2016 Essentials and install VMware Workstation 12 Pro on it. Is this possible?
      Thanks in advance.
    • sofianito
      By sofianito
      Hi,
      I experienced periodic request timeout when pinging the host, and my ssh sessions get stale and sometimes dropped...
      I had ESXi installed on a SAN USB3 16 GB stick when the issues happened. I thought it was related with the performance of the USB. So I decided to install ESXi on a Samsung SSD, but unfortunately I still have the same periodic request timeout. I udpated the client VIB to the most recent version (esxui-signed-5214684.vib), and I the application timeout in the console to 2 hours, but still facing the same issues.
      Did someone face or solved theses issues?
      Thanks
    • woad
      By woad
      First post here, looking for help/advice
      Have been using HP Microservers for a few years, lovely little boxes. Until recently, running one of the older boxes, an N40, with a Radeon 6450 with Openelec as a media-server. Or more precisely, a 'front end'; it pulls media (video, music) from my Synology NAS and plays it over TV/Amp. Kinda like a PopCornHour A300 on steroids. Works a treat. The box is being re-purposed as a firewall, because I bought a Gen8, and upgraded it with a Xeon 1265-L2, and the 6450.
      What I would like to do is virtualise the HTPC as a VM - because the Xeon system is overkill for a media centre. My question is, is this possible?
      ie
      HPGen8 with VSphere 6.5, one or more VMs
      VM 1 has 2 GB RAM, 1 dedicated [physical] CPU, and pass-through PCI-e (the 6450)
      Presumably this is possible:
      VM1 will run Openelec, and have access to the 6450 for video acceleration (for mp4/mkv playback and hdmi audio), and display will be passed out to the amp/tv 1 USB port passed to the VM, so I can run a wireless remote control. Possibly a second USB port passed through so I can run a wireless keyboard with trackball Intend to add other VMs, (perhaps a LInux based mail server, or MS SBS of some flavour), but thats for the future.
      I'm new to VSphere/ESXi, so don't know much at all, let alone "what I don't know"...

My experiments with VSphere so far result in PCI-pass through to the VM, but the output from the video card is the VSphere boot-up screen 'frozen' when loading a shim, and all interaction with the VM is via a browser... not what I was hoping for. How do I redirect the VM's video output over the video card?