RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

GFX Card Choice AMD 6350

cupcake

Hi,

I'm looking at GFX cards to slot into my Gen8 just used for a plex server, nothing else much really gets used on it.

I've seen an AMd 6350 low profile version for sale, and wondered if anyone has installed this on their machine or heard of any issues with it? 

PSorry ... never even heard of the 6350.

HOWEVER

If you are only running multimedia playback, why do you need a graphics card on the server?

I'm not saying you don't .. I'm asking if you do.

If the CPU is powerful enough to handle video the network is capable of handling streaming bandwidth.

Guess I'm asking what G8 CPU you have and how you plan to transfer data to a TV.

Edited by JackoUK

CPU is an i32120T

The server is in a study, and the media will run through the internal network to the Mac Mini I have under the TV. So the Gen 8 will be the Plex server.

There will be some remote streaming as well from other locations

You don't need a graphics card unless you are going to plug the gen8 into a tv or monitor and use plex on it as well. If you want one a hd 6450 is good and cheap I use mine to passthrough to a tv on Esxi. The cpu grunt is important for plex it needs around 2000 passmark score per stream if the device at the other end can't handle the file and the server needs to convert it on the fly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

the Gen8 is going to be the plex server that everything else local or remote streams from.

The idea was that the GFX card could take the grunt of the transcoding and ease up the strain on the CPU

Does Plex do GPU level transcoding, pretty sure it didnt when I looked at it a while ago, its all done on the CPU...

Aha - a network and a mac mini!

How about streaming video from the mac mini after pulling it from the MS?

- network bandwidth no problem

- plex will run on a mac mini

- heck the mac mini was designed for this type of usage and is probably more suitable than the MS!

I wonder ... can your mac mini handle 4K? ... or be modded to do 4K?

Well didn't know they added gpu support then it depends what kind graphics card grunt you want. I wish I had picked up the 750ti for £50 when I had the chance

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk