RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Which Processor Would give the Greatest Benefit?

lordfoul

Either. If it were up to me, I'd choose the one that uses less power and generates less heat.

fwiw - HP's only had one model with a dual-core processor, that being the Pentium E5200 w/2MB cache @ 2.5GHz. All other MSS's have used single core Celerons or Semprons. I can tell you the E5200 in my EX495 is more than adequate. I've streamed movies to my TV while transcoding my movie collection in the background. No problem.

I built a system before X-Mas and was missing only the CPU which was on back order so I grabbed the Athlon II X2 240 as a place holder for the X3 400e so I could get on with building. Now am wondering wether or not there would be a great benefit to the X3 400e I did order it for its power and heat profile and the fact it should multithread very well. I am passively cooling the 240 with a noctua NH-C12P SE14 with no fan attached peaks out at 42C at full load, but I'm intereted in the performace too as far as WHS backing up.

I don't think there is any processor-intensive application for WHS that can take advantage of more than 2 cores. I'd agree that whichever is lower power is probably the one to go with.

That is one of the cool things about WHS....just about any old system will work. I also like to use a low power CPU rather than something like a PIV which is a power hog.

Thanx for all the input. I think I will keep the 240 in as the two cores aren't generating any real heat as the case's ambient temp is quite adequate and the processor power may come in handy if I decide to go with media streaming. I'll keep the 400e and see if I can unlock the 4th core and use it in another desktop that could benefit from the multi proc abilities of it. For kicks I'll will post the specs for the system I have in hand as built.

Antec Sonata III 500
Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H Mobo
AMD Athlon

No fan on your CPU heatsink? Nice. How are the temps under load? Idle?

I was looking to buy one of those WD WD15EADS Caviar Green 1.5TB. My WD Green 1TB runs pretty cool. Does this, too?

Hey dnv, the caviar greens run amazingly cool they are adding no appreciable heat to the ambient temps of the case and as importantly no appreciable noise to the system as a whole thanks to the silicone hd mounts, I'm getting 38C ambient and 42C Proc at peak under stress testing. The heatsink seems to be the saviour of the system as a whole it is an amazing passive cooler I never did attach the 14cm fan to see its effect thanks to the result upon stress testing and the near silent operation of the whole system. I let the system run under stress over night to get good solid readings using Prime 95's latest 32 bit version, the 240 dles at 29C the rest of the time. I had to turn off my Dell XPS M1730 to hear the noise produced by this system. I've a total of two fans in operation the 12 cm case fan and the power supplies fan running and every thing else is passively cooled.

BTW I have found this forum to be by far the most responsive of the WHS forums by far, and I thank all of the respondents for their input. I love tech and especially I love hardware so its nice to talk hardware with folks who question things. I got a lot of feedback in other forums about using an SSD as a primary drive to begin with and as far that goes it's still an unkown how it will hold up. I'd love to hear about users experiences with SSD and or predictions pertaining to how it will perform over time. Specultaion welcome.

My desktop computer is an Intel Quad core....the CPU fan will run briefly at startup and then not run again unless I am loading the CPU by playing a game or encoding video etc. Makes for a nice quiet computer and you have the cooling when you need it rather than all the time.