RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Green WD Drives? Slow down performance??

vinylfreak

My current Frankenbuild has a three 1TB WD caviar black drives and one 500 GB WD RE2 drive. If I add two WD 750 Green Drives will I expect any type of performance hit??? Will this slow down the faster drives??

Thanks! Tim

Love the show! =)

Hey Tim,

The Blacks are 7200RPM right? I recall the Black label as a higher performance drive and I think they do that with less platters and higher density platters but I'm not real sure on that. They are certainly faster than the their Green counterparts. They hover around 5400 RPM's and spin up slower in order to save power. I don't recall what the RE2 is off hand but I'm thinking that you are not going to notice a huge change. There may be a slight decrease in performance but I think Drive Extender may be the bottleneck here. You could always run some IO tests on it and report back to us.
That's a heck of an answer huh? Like saying, figure it out yourself but make sure you come back and tell us! ha ha

Dave

I've got 2 WD Green 500 Gig drives in my HP 47x WHS box and I don't notice any performance difference than with the original drives only in the box. I'm sure that there is some slowdown, but it isn't noticeable in regular use to me.
-steve

I've been running with 4 Seagate LP 1.5TB drives in my EX485. It seems to be the processor that holds the system back. I had one drive failure within the first week of purchase, but the replacement and other three have run fine.

There is a free hard drive bench test application that I like to use for this kind of stuff. Works on Home Server too!

http://nodesoft.com/DiskBench/

When I use the Create File test on my desktop (SATA) I get >150 MB/s speeds
My slow WHS (IDE for SYS / USB for data) get ~25 MB/s and ~10 MB/s respectively.

Need a faster server!
Jim