RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

E3 1225v2 oops

tezray

Hi I bid on a E3 1225v2 cpu on eBay then realised with 3 hours to go that it's the wrong cpu it is 77tdp so couldn't retract bid and have just won it for £60. Do people think it will be ok in my gen8. I use Esxi 6.5 have a hd 6450 passive graphics card for kodi on a tv and 4 hard drives. I did use an i3 3240 perfectly fine and now use a i5 2390t even the 3240 is only 55tdp. The gen8 is in the loft so I can probably get away with putting it on max fan if I can't hear it in the bedroom through the ceiling at night but I don't want to burn the motherboard but really want a quad core cpu.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, tezray said:

Hi I bid on a E3 1225v2 cpu on eBay then realised with 3 hours to go that it's the wrong cpu it is 77tdp so couldn't retract bid and have just won it for £60. Do people think it will be ok in my gen8. I use Esxi 6.5 have a hd 6450 passive graphics card for kodi on a tv and 4 hard drives. I did use an i3 3240 perfectly fine and now use a i5 2390t even the 3240 is only 55tdp. The gen8 is in the loft so I can probably get away with putting it on max fan if I can't hear it in the bedroom through the ceiling at night but I don't want to burn the motherboard but really want a quad core cpu.

It should be ok as long as your not pushing to hard. There are plenty of tutorials on how to add a fan to your Microserver. When I had mine I tested a 1225v2, 1230v2 and then settled on a 1265L before I sold it. I never got extremely high temps with any of them running ESXI or Unraid. 

It should be ok as long as your not pushing to hard. There are plenty of tutorials on how to add a fan to your Microserver. When I had mine I tested a 1225v2, 1230v2 and then settled on a 1265L before I sold it. I never got extremely high temps with any of them running ESXI or Unraid. 

Ok thank you. I only use the tv vm rarely. Have a Windows 10 vm to backup my other server just files which I do manually once a week at the moment and will put a Windows 10 vm for veeam backup and one Xpenology vm for the house hallway camera so it will mostly be idle just need to keep an eye on it in the summer as it will get very hot in the loft. I don't really want to add a fan if I can help it they seem expensive and the good ones I wouldn't be able to do

Ok thank you. I only use the tv vm rarely. Have a Windows 10 vm to backup my other server just files which I do manually once a week at the moment and will put a Windows 10 vm for veeam backup and one Xpenology vm for the house hallway camera so it will mostly be idle just need to keep an eye on it in the summer as it will get very hot in the loft. I don't really want to add a fan if I can help it they seem expensive and the good ones I wouldn't be able to do

Oh when you tested did you put a fan on or not bother

Can't seem to find the thread that had the cpu cooler that you just bolt down on two corners that would make me happy as long as it's easy to wire into power

What if I just rest a big case fan on top of the cpu heatsink wire it into the floppy connector up top would I have the fan blow onto the heatsink or away from it

The other option is to change the 35W heatsink with 69W one. The difference between 69W and 77W is not so big. I am running E3-1265L (45W) with stock one (35W) without problems. The stock 69W heatsink is passive and available from HP. This is a good option as adding fan or any mechanical changes are not needed. Everything is stock and well explained in Service Manual.

The other option is to change the 35W heatsink with 69W one. The difference between 69W and 77W is not so big. I am running E3-1265L (45W) with stock one (35W) without problems. The stock 69W heatsink is passive and available from HP. This is a good option as adding fan or any mechanical changes are not needed. Everything is stock and well explained in Service Manual.

Thanks but they are very expensive and to be honest I just wanted 4 cores cheap I don't really need it at the moment but nice to have in the future I think I will just rest a fan on top and turn the cooling option up to half or max should be ok it won't be stressed at all

Should not be a real issue. I have an E3-1220 V2 with a TDP at 69W. Even when I reach 100% for a while the fans don't go upper than 16%. With a good thermal past it will do the trick.