RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Pulling two of my four drives from RAID10

rich1983

Hi guys. I have four WD Red 2tb drives in my Microserver. I need a back up system and have about 150 to spend. I'd rather buy a new Microserver and put two of my drives from my orig server into it and use Freenas or similar or would i be better off just buying an empty Synology?

Also, what will happen to my data if i pull two disks? Will the data be fine and allow me to re-format the two pulled disks into the new device to then copy everything across to as a backup?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I like the idea of a 2nd MS (I have 4) ...

BUT

... you don't have backup or any off-site storage and you're new to the game.

Two options for consideration:

1. An external 4TB HDD, something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Backup-Desktop-External-Integrated/dp/B01IAD5ZEE/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1493885429&sr=1-3&keywords=external+usb+hdd+6tb

2. An external HDD storage dock and a bare drive:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Docking-Cloning-Function-Tool-free/dp/B018EOZGU2/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1493885608&sr=1-4&keywords=external+usb+hdd+6tb

The MS has two USB 3 ports on the back, so there you plug. What can you do now?

- backup to the external drive

- lock the external in a safe or keep it at another location

- when it comes time for that 2nd MS it doesn't matter if you **** up the instructions to split your RAID array because you have a full backup

- after a few years when you need 8TB of storage rather than 4TB: you split the mirror and the first 8TB is on the existing server, buy another 4 TB drive so you now have 2x4TB for the 2nd server, and buy a bare 8TB drive for the new backup

Even though I have 4 MS's I have found it very flexible to have a chunk of external diskery ... like when I destroyed a RAID array a couple of months back during a small reorganisation!

If you ever need to transport, say 2TB, of data somewhere ... you simply write to, move and plug in to a distant USB 3 port.

Basic storage docks can be had for £30. flexible insurance policy, I'd say.

Edited by JackoUK

I still like the idea of going to 2 MS's eventually.

The idea of RAID is that your data is still available if a disk fails.

If you have 2 MS's and 2 copies of data then you are covered if a whole MS fails ...

... and you will have the flexibility to rebuild each server in turn without worrying as you are now.

Thanks for all our help mate. I've used those docks in the past but i always worry they aren't as stable as an external drive.

Are you using the B120i or do you have a RAID controller?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I'm using the B120i on board, have four disks in RAID 10.

I've managed to borrow a external back up drive and some extra disks which i have fitted into an old work station and installed Xplenology on it to test the back up set up on that device. I think I'll probably put 2x 2tb as RAID 1 in the MS (I've only got about 1tb critical, 1tb TV) and do the same with the other two WD Red's in a NAS container. Now it's just a case of which NAS box (which is for another thread) but I'm still interested to see your thoughts on pulling the disks Schoondoggy.

To pull two drives from your RAID10 I believe you would need to migrate to RAID1, then remove the two drives from the array, then physically remove the drives. Unfortunately, RAID migration is not supported on the B120i, it can be done on HP Smart Array controllers like the P222. Safest route would be to remove the RAID10 configuration, remove two drives, then setup a new RAID1 with the remaining drives.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. What I should do I cant with the B120i so will back up and totally start again. Thanks all!