RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

File server needed! Which/how?!

rich1983

Hiya guys. Got the Celeron with 8gb ram. Got an SSD for boot plus some WD reds for data.

I'm thinking that for my home needs, the easiest way to share files across my computers and phones is prob NAS but i wonder if i can run any NAS software easily off Hyper V? I was thinking about the Synology/Xplenology OS but people dont seem to be able to get it going properly.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

when i received my gen 8 i tested it with Windows os (7 8.1 2008 2012) for a media server and file server....after installation, i spent a week on ebay looking for a xeon cpu, now i am very happy with freenas, even if i had to buy a 8gb of ram more only.

The best choice for me is freenas.

I'm a network man, with cisco and checkpoint skill, so maybe we have a different approach with this stuff, but get freenas and forget everything

Edited by raulico

no, freenas is an OS indipendent from Windows (sorry for my English, i'm Italian)

Freenas needs only a lot of ram for the Z file system managing raid rather than Windows needs a lot of cpu, so with freenas and 12gb of ram, i see cpu graph under 5% while ram is 6gb costant, but i use gen8 only for file backup and plex server.(on amazon 8gb of ram is 68€)

G.u.i. is very friendly and updating procedure too.

A lot of youtube video for creating whatever you need, so you can choose the documentation or video.

You can install freenas in a microsd (no need to choose a fast sd) and after a fast boot it runs on ram.

I live in Sicily and temp on summer is quite hot, the only thing i'm modding are fans on chipset and on cpu too, because i see Ilo result of 55-60°C on chipset and 40°C on cpu, (with 20°C in ambient) so i suppose on summer with 30/40°C will be a problem for a room without air conditioning

In past i used freenas on Windows using oracle virtualbox, and it's very simple, but i suggest you to install it as OS on gen8

Edited by raulico

I got Xpenology running perfect on Esxi it took a lot of googling. And a specific setup but worked a treat I have changed servers etc but will see if I can find everything tomorrow. Hyper v I found was limited with usb options I need itunes vms for wife and kids and you cannot connect the iPhone initially once to setup Wi-Fi sync so hyper v is not varied enough for me although I did have Xpenology working in hyper v before

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Is there any reason why i should install Xpen on a MS as opposed to buying a proper Synology box? I will get more hardware for my money if i go the MS route (plus more options for the future) but i figure a proper Synology will prob be more stable and reliable than a homemade Xpen system?

gen 8 arrives with no OS, and it gives you more flexbilty to upgrade rather than a legacy hardware.

don't know price comparison because my approach is "open and look inside", but i'm quite sure legacy costs a lot more.

hardware is hardware, it runs whatever you install, but there are people who wants a meal cooked and people who loves to prepare their meal :-)

Hp engineer said with celeron and a passive cooler everything is ok, but i feel myself a step forward and with a usb-to-pwm and an active fan on cpu i feel myself more confortable (20$ total costs)

http://www.ebay.it/itm/USB-A-male-to-Fan-3-Pin-3pin-4-Pin-4pin-Adapter-Cable-for-5V-/262123212485

http://www.dx.com/it/p/k25-compact-cpu-cooler-fan-for-mini-itx-micro-atx-chassis-core-2-duo-core-i3-core-i5-processor-404540#.WQwreXm1vIU

and if the k25 needs more than 5v i have plan B right over the corner

http://www.ebay.it/itm/281848573893?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by raulico

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to turn my MSG8 into a dedicated Xpen box and am going to invest in an ML310G8 for the actual server stuff. Thanks for all the advice.