Sign in to follow this  
Trig0r

Windows 10 S

Trig0r    118
Trig0r

So, this is the Windows 10 Cloud that was hinted at on the insider previews..

Anyone actually think it's a good idea?

I'm really not a fan of having, multiple versions of an OS, it complicates things for the end user.

JackoUK    17
JackoUK

Windows Sterile, as I think I'll call it, is just another attempt by MSFT to imprison users in an Apple-like ecosystem. (The new laptop is the same from a hardware perspective, providing an admittedly lovely but expensive machine).

As usual all the supposed customer benefits are dressed up as pseudo-advantages e.g. security via limitation to Store apps ... only needs a simple switch, not a whole new OS.

JackoUK    17
JackoUK

The usual suspects are all saying its the way to go: we need to convert all applications to UWP and install them via the Windows Store.

I'm happy with that providing:

- MSFT pays for the application porting effort, to be recovered if the platform takes off

- MSFT takes a very small cut of developer's revenues (say 0.1% with a limit)

- I get 6 free licenses for the 6 copies of MS Office I own

Should be done before the next BUILD conference, right?

JackoUK    17
JackoUK

Early testers of Windows Sterile are saying it has all the functionality of Pro.

That might be of interest to me were it available on the devices I want to buy: Microservers or tablets.

The Windows Pro licenses for my 4 MS's would have been very expensive had they not come via W7 - W8 Pro (£25) - W10 Pro (free) ... indeed I'd probably have gone a different route without the cheap upgrades. Doesn't sound like S will be available as an SKU though.

I bought a LINX 1010 Education tablet to get Pro, cost about £20 over the base 1010B ... so I can Remote Desktop in to it from wherever.

There is a strong possibility that tablets will appear with S on them. Trouble is the one and only application I want to run is Foobar2000! :(