RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Microsoft May 2nd Event #MicrosoftEDU

Dave

Here are my notes from the event.

Windows

Started out by noting a new wallpaper. Oooohhhh. Really?

Windows 10 S - Windows Store Only. Apps run in a safe container. Day 1 use = Day 1000 use.  

What happens when students try to download apps from web? Popup, not verified by MS. It will recommend apps from store.

Switch to Windows 10 Pro in settings if needed.

Students log in for first time. On S takes less time to start Windows. Less than 5 seconds login time for logins after initial.

Office Suite, coming soon to windows store.

Teachers have settings for WIndows to setup the classroom PC's. Creates a USB key. Plug it into Student PC's and it will configure it.

Setup 600 PC's with 30 USB sticks in 1 day, example of Colorado school.

inTune for Education. (available today) Knows about carts and students and teachers. If connected can be centrally managed. Like turn off cameras.

New Win 10 S devices starting at $189 from Microsoft OEM's

FREE Stuff Subscription to Minecraft: Education Edition, Win 10 S for existing Win Pro PC's, Office 365 for Education

All available this summer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New classroom experiences for Microsoft Teams - digital hub for teachers and students

Teams - A facebook looking collaboration tool that unites classrooms with conversation and sharing. Using OneNote to playback lessons.  Modern collaborative classroom was used a lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Codebuilder for Minecraft Education Edition - a new extension to build, create by writing code. type in /code Tynker, Scratch.  Your agent(sidekick) appears. Drag and drop blocks of code.  Allows you to code up an agent to dig or mine for you. An example. So, using code to automate building.

Try it today. Beta of Codebuilder, education.minecraft.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3D/Mixed Reality in Education

Insert 3D models into PPT. PPT will animate it for you. Showed a solar system example.

View 3D content "through" your screen. View Mixed Reality. With Surface camera, dropped Mars Rover next to human to show scale and size. Can do it with classroom pc with RGB webcam.

Field Trips with mixed reality headset

Pearson integrating this tech for 2018 school year.

Mixed reality headsets, like the Acer shown, Coming this holiday starting at $299 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Panos Panay

Students are asking for a Surface Laptop he says. 

Burgundy, Graphite, Cobalt Blue, and 

2.76 pounds under 14.5 mm. Opens smoothly

3:2 aspect ration, 13.5" PixelSense Display

No rubber bumper around screen. No chin, no hinge you can see.

3.4million pixels in the screen

Thinnest LCD touch module on a laptop.

The Pen. He did have to hold the back of the screen to write on it. Looked a bit bouncy.

Core i5 or i7, pcie SSD, 14.5 hours battery life

Battery life off is OFF.

Concerns. Yes, battery. Moving to WIn 10 Pro. Wifi, what chipset. I've had issues with Surface and wifi since day 1.

Alcantara product laid over keyboard. No speaker grills or holes. Under the keyboard.

Power port on left side. Noticed the cord flowed over keyboard. Can it be flipped around? cord exit the back?

Watch it here

and here is the entire replay

https://news.microsoft.com/microsoft-event-may-2017/

Buy it here

http://fave.co/2eTbKRi

Pre-order now Core i5 $999

June 15th Delivery

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 9.50.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 10.00.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 10.15.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 10.50.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 11.01.55 AM.png

Trig0r

Be interesting to see the full specs and a comparison, also where it fits in price wise compared to other similar spec laptops..

Dave

Ports? What Ports?

I see USB, DisplayPort, Apple's lost headphone jack, and is that SD Card slot?  What is that?

The other side has only the power port.

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 11.33.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 11.35.27 AM.png

Trig0r

Hows the screen wobble?

Trig0r

Port on the side is a Surface Connect port according to the website..

Dave

Here we go.  The pre-order back door!

http://fave.co/2qAxXsE  (commission link not a tracking link, my uBlock Origin didn't like the link for some reason. It goes to Microsoft Store)

If you have an adblocker, consider whitelisting this site. Thanks.

Microsoft Store

Dave

All links and pages at Micrsoft.com are up and functional.  You can pre-order now.  Tons of info rolling in especially from those who got hands on. Expect some podcasts rolling out soon!

Dave

I keep seeing a cartoon in my head.  

A shot is fired, the Chromebook ducks, and there stands Macbook who takes the shot full force!  Surface Laptop smiles smugly while Chromebook dances a happy dance that it was spared, then from around the corner, OEM Windows 10 S Laptop locks its stare onto Chromebook.  Chromebook mutters, "Uh Oh."

• Like 1