RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Discontinues MediaSmart Server line

cskenney

I was saddened at HP's announcement, but sort of prepared based on the discussion in the home server show podcast where MS decision to remove DE V2 from VAIL was discussed. I have a question, and hopefully this isn't the wrong forum to ask it in...cool.gif

I have been an admirer of WHS & the HP Media Smart Server for several years, but I have not yet purchased one until earlier this week. I got a great deal on an HP EX490 + 1TB drive bundle from Costco. I mainly made the purchase to keep my options open, as Costco has a 90 day return policy on electronics, and I figure the existing stock of HP MediaSmart servers is likely to go quickly..

My dilemma is this. Given that DE will not be part of WHS Vail (barring MS doing the right thing for Vail and restoring the DE feature), do I really want to purchase a WHS with no possible upgrade path, or at least not an ideal one... Should l just wait for Vail and build / buy then or use my EX490 and forgo Vail because WHS V1 will meet my needs...

The one long term concerns I have is that non EARS drives will be hard to find in a few years....

Thanks in advanced, and wondering in Arizona... biggrin.gif

Interesting point about EARS. You're going to like the 490. At the price at which you got it, and the fact that you state that it fills your needs, I'd say run with it. WHS v1 worked well before Vail came on the scene, nothing's changed in that respect.

I'm not having any issues that I know of with EARS drives in my WHS. Now, it's not a Media Smart so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. It may be that the viability of EARS drives with WHS may depend on motherboard. I installed it with the jumper and it seems to be working fine (haven't done performance checks however, just no noticeable issues).

Is anyone actually having issues with the advanced format drives and WHS?

Keith

I was saddened at HP's announcement, but sort of prepared based on the discussion in the home server show podcast where MS decision to remove DE V2 from VAIL was discussed. I have a question, and hopefully this isn't the wrong forum to ask it in...cool.gif

I have been an admirer of WHS & the HP Media Smart Server for several years, but I have not yet purchased one until earlier this week. I got a great deal on an HP EX490 + 1TB drive bundle from Costco. I mainly made the purchase to keep my options open, as Costco has a 90 day return policy on electronics, and I figure the existing stock of HP MediaSmart servers is likely to go quickly..

My dilemma is this. Given that DE will not be part of WHS Vail (barring MS doing the right thing for Vail and restoring the DE feature), do I really want to purchase a WHS with no possible upgrade path, or at least not an ideal one... Should l just wait for Vail and build / buy then or use my EX490 and forgo Vail because WHS V1 will meet my needs...

The one long term concerns I have is that non EARS drives will be hard to find in a few years....

Thanks in advanced, and wondering in Arizona... biggrin.gif

I have 1 EARS drive with jumper in my EX485. No issues to my knowledge. I have movies stored on the server too.

I've got EARS drives in my MSS too. Out of curiosity, I installed it unjumpered. The transfer speeds weren't just low, they were horrible. Somewhere around 5-10Mb/s versus 80-90Mb/s when jumpered.

Some have said that using a jumpered EARS as an non-OS drive is fine, but warn against using it as a system drive. I'm not sure that is right. And I don't remember hearing why not. There may have been early iterations of AF drives that caused problems, but I don't know.

I'm a little saddened by the news. I found the MediaSmart boxes to be an attractive form factor, but wasn't in a position to shell out for one when they first came out. I fully intended on buying an OEM WHS and would most likely have ended up with an HP solution.

HP should now release the MediaSmart Server add-in suite to a community like MediaSmartServer.net to fix bugs and allow them to continue support and posibly make the software available to non HP models and users of WHS v1.