RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Discontinues MediaSmart Server line

cskenney

With the news today that HP is discontinuing the MediaSmart Server line of products I thought I would throw up a thread to get your thoughts. I plan to pull some of the posts from the rumor thread an place them in here too but feel free to add on your comments.

FYI - HP's website now shows both the EX490 and EX495 out of stock.

There is also a post on the Home Server Show blog with the a little bit about the news.

I guess it's not a rumor any more! Like we didn't already know thanks to that WGS tweet.

Not sure I would want to buy one that has been discontinued, although parts should be around for a few years.

It is just like any other piece if computer hardware. You never know how long replacement parts will be available. I have an EX485 that works fine...no complaints.

All good things come to an end. I always had my issues with MediaSmart not doing what it was advertised to do in regards to remote streaming and media, but in general it did promote the WHS market. Reflecting back, the mediasmarts default configuration (ex485 days) didn't have the juice for media with only 1GB of RAM and a single core CPU. While the enthusiasts upgraded their boxes manually, many average people who weren't too knowledgable had some troubles. I'd say though by the EX485 they fixed a lot of things and the hardware was a bit more robust. It would've been exciting to see something really nice come out of Vail, but I don't blame them dropping it. Microsoft has really dropped the ball feature wise to a point where now I only really care about computer backup and automation on WHS, which is really the only functionality Microsoft provides. The addins are always a great way to extend the initial features, but the initial features should be a bit more "featureful" if they want WHS to live. Otherwise SBS and Server 2008 R2 are the way to go.

It's simply troubling with all of Microsoft's resources they can't make a good representation for their average user, they are becoming a small/corporate business machine. Just wait until Google starts dominating the home market and then Microsoft will get the slap on the wrist they've long needed.

Bad time to be away from the microphone although we might be able to do a podcast this weekend. That will give this news some time to sink in and clear itself up before we hit the air.

Guest no-control

Bad time to be away from the microphone although we might be able to do a podcast this weekend. That will give this news some time to sink in and clear itself up before we hit the air.

And let the rumors fly around, like room monkeys throwing crap in a room full of fans. WGS comments are already hilarious with all MS bashing and conspiracy theories. rolleyes.gif