RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New WHS build

Ravi

HI everyone . Newbee here . Wanted to introduce myself to the forum and ask you all a few questions I had for a new build I am planning

Basically , I currently have a HTPC with quadcode /XP running at home and I wanted to add a WHS to the system to get all the media into one box .

I have another HP desktop with XP loaded on it with dual core and 4gb memory . I bought the Rosewill RSV-S8 8-bay enclosure to add all the hard drives in it with WHS . I was wondering if I can do dual boot on the HP desktop to also install WHS on it or should I just do a scrape and install WHS over XP ?

Also , would that system be O.K to do streaming of B-ray files to the HTPC ? I have been reading the forums for the last two day's and everyone were sticking to the new i3 or i5 processors for B-ray and I wanted to know if anyone is doing the same with Core 2 duo ?

HI everyone . Newbee here . Wanted to introduce myself to the forum and ask you all a few questions I had for a new build I am planning

Basically , I currently have a HTPC with quadcode /XP running at home and I wanted to add a WHS to the system to get all the media into one box .

I have another HP desktop with XP loaded on it with dual core and 4gb memory . I bought the Rosewill RSV-S8 8-bay enclosure to add all the hard drives in it with WHS . I was wondering if I can do dual boot on the HP desktop to also install WHS on it or should I just do a scrape and install WHS over XP ?

Also , would that system be O.K to do streaming of B-ray files to the HTPC ? I have been reading the forums for the last two day's and everyone were sticking to the new i3 or i5 processors for B-ray and I wanted to know if anyone is doing the same with Core 2 duo ?

The Short answer is yes, scrap XP and do a WHS install. With regards to streaming BD files, any server with a gigabit port can stream it but your client has to be able to process it. You do not mention what type of HTPC you have. If you have at least a dual core, it should be OK with the right graphics card. Most of the BD processing is on the video card. A good gforce or ATI card will do the trick. Like I mentioned, a gigabit network is recommended. If you could list the specs on you HTPC it would help, and of course you will have to scrap XP and use Win7.

I have a nvidia 8500 series Card in the HTPC and I think that should take care of the BR files . Yeah , I am planning to upgrade to WIN7 , just didnt get the time . I need to install Vista and upgrade to WIN 7 as I dont want to loose some files and get the drivers issues on the hardware .

Any gigabit switch you could recommend ? or the one that came with the Rosewill Case will be sufficient for the data transfer ?

Guest no-control

I have a nvidia 8500 series Card in the HTPC and I think that should take care of the BR files . Yeah , I am planning to upgrade to WIN7 , just didnt get the time . I need to install Vista and upgrade to WIN 7 as I dont want to loose some files and get the drivers issues on the hardware .

Any gigabit switch you could recommend ? or the one that came with the Rosewill Case will be sufficient for the data transfer ?

The windows 7 upgrade is basically a new install so you're not saving yourself any work. W7 doesn't really have any driver issues, that I've run across it handles legacy hardware very well. I would recommend backing up your files, skipping Vista and just going straight to Windows 7 then put the file you want back on. Xp has a file transfer wizard the works fairly well but I would just move them across the network to another machine. The 8500 card will play the video stream but it wont process any of the sound.

I think I only have the Win7 upgrade CD and not a brand new install and I dont think it would let me do the new install on XP until I have a vista so that I could upgrade .

yeah 8500 only does Video and I am getting a Sound card for the audio so I should be fine .

The Short answer is yes, scrap XP and do a WHS install. With regards to streaming BD files, any server with a gigabit port can stream it but your client has to be able to process it. You do not mention what type of HTPC you have. If you have at least a dual core, it should be OK with the right graphics card. Most of the BD processing is on the video card. A good gforce or ATI card will do the trick. Like I mentioned, a gigabit network is recommended. If you could list the specs on you HTPC it would help, and of course you will have to scrap XP and use Win7.

Hmm.. I just did some checking on this while troubleshooting playback issues, and there's nothing on a 1080p BD-stream that'll seriously tax even 100Mbit link. As far as i could tell, 1080p peaks at around 50 Mbps with audio. Now, it's differend thing entirely if you start two or three streams..

edit: shouldn't IRC while writing, makes your thoughts wonder and silly sentences come out...

Edited by kermi