RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Total newbie - can't even install Windows 7

baronsaturday

Hi all,

I got my Gen 8 today (used to have N40L) and I have no idea what to do. Can't even get Windows 7 installed. 

What I've done so far:

- made bootable W7 USB stick

- put the OS drive from my N40L in the new machine

- tried to reinstall Windows from the USB stick

It's now stuck in a loop where it says the Windows installation didn't complete properly and needs to restart to do it, then it restarts and goes back to the exact same place.

I've tried taking the OS drive out to see if I could install Windows on one of the drives I use for data but can't get to any kind of installation screen.

No idea what to do here and would appreciate any help.

The Gen8 has the B120i enabled by default, if you want your disk setup to be similar to the N40l you should change the storage controller to AHCI. I would only have your OS drive in the system when you are trying to load an OS. It would be easier to help you if you could share how you untimely want the server to be configured.

Thanks for response.

I've changed the storage controller to AHCI and removed all drives except the OS drive, which now has this broken Windows installation on it - straight after Windows starts loading it reboots the machine and would continue that loop all night if I didn't turn it off. I'm no longer getting as far as the error message.

Ultimately it will run Windows 7 (or possibly 10) and sit by my TV as an occasional use PC for the living room and a Plex server to stream to other devices in the house. I have a 300GB drive for the OS, then 2x3TB and 1x2TB drives for media.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

What I've just tried is removing the OS drive and putting one of the media storage drives in (ie one with no OS on it). It doesn't seem to recognise the USB stick as bootable in either the internal or external USB slots.

Ha! I think I've got it. I used the creation tool provided by MS. Have just redone it using Rufus and it seems to be working. Will update in a little while...

don't forget to install the drivers for the controller where you plugged the hd, after you create the usb bootable with Rufus you can copy the driver's folder on the same usb stick