RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

micro ATX Case recommendations

schoondoggy

Looking at doing a new build for a small desktop based on a micro ATX motherboard. I like using 'cube' style cases. Here are some I am considering, Any you would add to the list?

VvotdH.png

I had the Node 804 from your last suggestion, the fact however that you are asking for a small desktop build means the 804 is out of the question, its bloody huge..

Here's mine sat next to my Gen8, dont get me wrong, its a really, really nice case but small, no, just, no...

SD.jpg

• Like 1

I hear you, I have a Node 804 with a ASRock Rack server board for ESXi. It is big, with lots of disk space, great for a server. Small would be a 'relative' term, micro ATX and cube design drives up the size a bit. The Cooltec and Jonsbo are the most efficient designs, but neither are available in the US. I am also finding many of the smaller cube designs are not always graphic card friendly. Best to read the reviews thoroughly!

It is indeed good for a server case, drive space and the ability to watercool everything, and its GPU friendly as well..

I like the Mini P180 case I have my main rig in at the mo but since you made me get the 804 I've been thinking about re-casing my main rig...

• Like 1

I had been going to recommend the 802 as well until I thought it was not small enough. One thing I will say is that the 602 will not fit a "standard" graphics card easily be very wary with that one as it has sound deading and the standoffs (neither of which are taken into account for the internal dimensions specs). 802 works wonders though

• 1 month later...

I'm weird, I personally prefer Mini-ITX size, or .... full on rack mount, and nothing in between. :)

Though as somebody that owned QPACK's. They're nice cases.

• 4 years later...

So I'm doing a bit of a PC overhaul, and I've decided this time I want something smaller.

I've settled on most of the specs. Specifically here what matters is I'm going for an ASUS TUF gaming B550M Micro ATX Motherboard.
Problem is, I'm struggling to find any actually small micro ATX cases. The current case I'm using is about a decade old from a no name brand that doesn't even exist any more, and is about the same size as most mini tower cases, despite this being a mid tower with about twice the expansion (although mostly useless at this point. Who needs 4 5.25 inch bays in 2021?) as most current mini towers.
It seems like cases have certainly got bigger and bigger over the years, and I'm kind of stumped, because I don't see the point in getting a micro ATX board if the whole build isn't actually any smaller than my current one.

So, any recommendations for some reasonably small size micro ATX cases?

Budget is ideally under £80 but that's not a strict limit. The only dealbreakers are it needs at least 1 3.5inch and 1 2.5inch drive bay. Other than that I'm fairly open to anything. GPU space isn't too important, I've only got an RX 570 which is just over 230mm long, and just like everyone else on the planet I've got no hope of upgrading any time soon.

For cube style units the CoolCube and Jonsbo listed above are the smallest I have found. You can occasionally find them on ebay. Not the smallest micro ATX tower, but I have had good luck with these:

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-tower/masterbox-q300l/

These folks tend to review compact design cases:

https://thinkcomputers.org/

https://tekeverything.com/

I never found the word "Micro" really applied to that form factor. I guess it was smaller than something that preceded it.