RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Current approach for managing recorded TV?

Jazman

Hey gang,

I'm in the process of switching how I record my TV. If you've seen other posts, you know I'm going

from: cable TV, Hauppauge internal cards, and Snapstream's Beyond TV software

to: multiple Silicondust HD Homeruns and using WMC to record

With my existing system, Snapstream would move the recordings from my local TV recording/server PC to my home server in the wee hours of the night. So, what is the best way to do this today with WMC and WHS?

I've heard about some method that does this (that I think is built-in) but it doesn't let you tell the computer WHEN to do it. This could be an issue for me if recordings drop data due to the move interfering. I see there is a Recorded TV Manager add-in out there, but it also looks like it might not be getting used anymore.

Is there something out there (ie: add-in) that would maybe centralize WMC control to the WHS (like Vail should have)? Other features are nice, but I am mainly looking for a way to move files to the server at a prescribed time. Something like Automator for OSX might do the trick, but I don't know of a Windows equivalent.

Thanks in advance!!!

Keith

I have WMC move the recordings and have not had an issue with interference from the move activity. I have WMC recording to the HTPC and then the archiving kicks in after the recording is done. The achriving function converts the recording to a Zune format and also moves the full-res recording over to the WHS without any intervention from me. It works rather well; I'd start with that workstream and see if it works out for you.

Jim

Just hope you don't have HD.

You could always just write a batch file that does an xcopy and run that as a scheduled task.

Just hope you don't have HD.

You could always just write a batch file that does an xcopy and run that as a scheduled task.

1080p three hour football games! Works a charm...but xcopy would as well...

Is there a way built-in to Windows to schedule tasks? I wasn't aware of that. I guess I need to visit my friend Google and look that up.

I'm curious about your AC3 question. What are you referring to? What's the AC3 issue you're alluding to?

Thanks,

Keith

Is there a way built-in to Windows to schedule tasks? I wasn't aware of that. I guess I need to visit my friend Google and look that up.

I'm curious about your AC3 question. What are you referring to? What's the AC3 issue you're alluding to?

Thanks,

Keith

1/ Yeah, just hit start, type in "schedule" and it will take you right there. You can schedule any program to run (as long as you are logged into the machine).

2/ By default, the MS transcoder can't transcode video's that have the audio stored in an AC3 (aka Dolby Digital) container, which almost all HD television does. You have to install a 3rd party tool to enable the videos to be transcoded.

1/ Yeah, just hit start, type in "schedule" and it will take you right there. You can schedule any program to run (as long as you are logged into the machine).

2/ By default, the MS transcoder can't transcode video's that have the audio stored in an AC3 (aka Dolby Digital) container, which almost all HD television does. You have to install a 3rd party tool to enable the videos to be transcoded.

2) So if there is a recording stored on a WHS, where does the tool get installed? On the WHS or the machine doing the playback?

Jaz

It depends on where the conversion is being done. The HP software does it on the WHS, so you'd need it there. The MS WHS Media Center plugin does it on the Media Center PC, so you'd need it there. Again, just to be clear, this is only necessary if you are transcoding it, such as creating a portable format for Zune/iOS. You don't need anything for straight playback of copying the files.