RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drobo PCIe Card to replace DE

edamiga1

I would be interested in a drobo, but I really do not want a seperate box. What would be ideal would be a drobo card, that you could plug in and it allowed you to plug in Harddrives. You would then simply connect hard drives to it and it would look like one HD to WHS. The key difference from SCSI would be that the HDs do not need to be the same size and it just adds them in. The only downfall is that you cannot easily remove HDs, without them adding an add in to do this. I would think this would be easy enough for them to build and then it could work just like DE.

Thoughts, what other solutions are people thinking of if/when they move to vail.

• Like 1

Interesting... I'd consider buying something like that, particularly if it was port multiplier aware.. it could get interesting when you start thinking about multi-disk enclosures..

To bad the functionality could not be at the drive level itself. Image buying Western Digital drives, run a Western Digital utility to tell the drive if it is a backup drive or pool drive or duplicate of another drive. Then that's it. It does that from then on until you format it again.

• Like 1

I know the drobo keeps coming up as a substitute for DE, however lets not forget that the drobo is one of the slowest devices out there and in no way can substitute what we have in WHS. The average benchmark for the drobo is between 20-30mbs. If they could make a card ala a somekind of RAID card that did not suffer from the poor performance and we could use our drives, there would be hope, otherwise we will all be building RAID 5 arrays soon.

The main difference with JBOD/SPAN is that the drobo card would provide the data replication across multiple drives. The benefit is that you could create your shares on this "disk" that you want duplicated and then put the other shares on just local disks. The more I think of this the more I would like some card vendor to come out with this. They could make it work with standard Windows and Linus to have an even larger market.

They just need to create a simple UI to let the user manage the system and decide if drives should be part of the pool or show up as seperate drives. I don't see that this could be that difficult for Drobo and if they priced it right, ~200 for an 8 drive card they really could generate a lot of revenue. Just a thought, but we are going to need something.

My only other hope is that Microsoft adds the existing V1 drive extender technology as an add in. They should be able to do this fairly easily, but not sure. What I have always wanted is to have seperate pools for different purposes. I would like to put my videos as part of a pool that is higher performance, say black caviar drives, and then put my documents, music, backups and other data on slower green drives. I would move in an instast if they did this...

Guest no-control

Most of what you are asking for is feasible already using a hardware RAID 5 or by using an UnRAID box. What you're asking for is DE on a PCIe card. Not going to happen.

While the concept of a BeyondRAID card is interesting I don't see it being possible. Doing this at the hardware level would require a PE interface therefore no folder level control. The card would require a hardware controller for the drives plus an embedded chip for runnign the firm/software. Last time I checked just an 8 SATA port RAID card on the cheap end was $500 and not worth buying and a decent RAID SAS card is north of $1600. AAt that point I might as well do it right and build an enterprise class server.

Doing this in the o/s as a 3rd party program is sketchy at best. Especially considering the Microsoft already has a working layer of software in v1. As well as the DE in Vail appears to work fine as long as you do not try to attach applications. Though I prefer the simplicity of the high level of v1 vs the low level performance gain of vail.

I'm with PCDoc the Drobo's speeds are well known to suck.

Not trying to shoot down a good idea. But I don't think it's a simple fix.

I am not sure I was clear. I have purchased 8 port SATA cards in the past for around 250. You can get the 8 port HighPoint RocketRaid 2320 for $264. I have been using the older 2220 for several years with my V1 server for a while. What I would look for is the ability of the card to basically replicate all of the data that is connected on it, and make sure it is on at least two drives. This is basically raid, but with any drive that is connected to it. I don't need the flexibility to have some drives replicated and some not. To do this I would just create the folders I want replicated on the "SATA Card" drive, and put the others on drives that were not connected. Or I could have two drives. This is not as flexible as the V1 approach, but would be fine for me. What would make this complex??? If the drobo speeds are an issue then I agree another company needs to implement this. I am strictly speaking of the approach, not vendor...

As for the V1 drive approach I was suggesting that MSFT create the add in and just restrict it to Vail. This should be minimal work. If they are not willing to do this it would be good of them to open source their solution the DE code and let others create it. Starting from scratch is NOT an option....

What other solutions are out there.... We need a solution.

What would be ideal is a RAID5 that doesn't have size-matching limitations and the files are accessible on the individual drives if they are pulled out the array.