RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New MicroServer is on it's way

strux

Good news!

by the way, there is old link from 3 months ago, and it says it will be AMD Naples platform

Edited by FreeN@S

Looking like it'll still only have 32Gb RAM max, not a huge issue given we've been used to 16Gb before now.

The Naples thing is more interesting, I'm guessing from the pictures we've seen, briefly, that the chassis is pretty much the same, so dimensions are still good, Naples could mean a max of 32 cores, however, given the 32Gb RAM limitation we probably won't get full access to Socket SP3 due to thermal and power restrictions, there's not much out there as far as Naples info at the minute so it's hard to pin anything down other than the socket type and the fact its DDR4..

if it is Naples, so it should take DDR4 ECC Registered RAM ,so even with 2 slots, there should be 64GB RAM. This would be very cool. that is my guess. 

not long to wait :) only until Monday June 5 at 6:00pm :)

• VIP Invite (That’s YOU!) Please join us on Monday June 5 at 6:00pm at the Hybrid IT Welcome Center during the Show Floor Welcome Reception. We’ll be celebrating the launch of the HPE Microserver Gen10, and our partnership with ClearCenter to deliver ClearOS on ProLiant servers.
Edited by FreeN@S

Yeah thats what I was thinking, given you can get 32Gb sticks..

Probably the lower end chipsets will have less lanes and have a few other features missing to make them low cost options, add to that the thermal limitations I cant see us getting 32 core CPU's, really does depend on what AMD release as to Naples info as to what we can guestimate we'll get on the GenX...

hm, better than nothing :) But it seems it will not be as powerfull as my Gen8 with E3 1230 V2.

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00008701enw&doctype=quickspecs&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=us&lc=en

From my point of view:

+

32GB RAM DDR4 ECC UDIMM

2 PCIe slots 

lower power consumption

-

only 2 or 4 core AMD Opteron™ X3000 Series ( X3216 and X3421 ) http://www.amd.com/en/opteron

ILO( ?)

Direct Path I/O ? 

Edited by FreeN@S

So back to CPU's stuck on the board, that'll be a killer for a lot of people as you won't be able to buy the cheapest model and then upgrade the CPU as your requirements change.

Looking like a big fat disappointment tbh, yeah theres an extra slot inside for cards but other than that its pretty weak...

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016 and ClearOS.

It doesn't look good now : no vmware ESXi, no FreeBSD ( FreeNAS) and etc. No infrastructure management (iLO). So you can't put it on remote site either for a backup.

I thought i would wait for a Gen 10 , but now i'll take probably 3rd Gen8, as the price after cash back is only ~130eur for a base model.