RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cupcake

Storage Question

cupcake

Morning guys,

I got my previous question resolved once I got the floppy to sata cable, and used my 2.5" drive to load windows 10 on to. All now working great and been flying for a few weeks now.

I've just upgraded my storage though and have a question.

I've got 4 x WD Green 2TB drives installed.

I've gone through the B120i setup and set up a new logical drive using all 4 physical drives in a RAID 1+0 setup, which should leave me with around 4TB of usable storage.

That's all gone fine.

When I've gone into Windows, the drives obviously aren't ready for use there, so I've gone into Disk Management to format the drives to make them usable, however I'm seeing them as 2 seperate blocks of storage, rather than one block of unalloacted space.

Is this normal?

If I just format both blocks, can I then merge them into one?

Capture.PNG

Trig0r

Wrong disk type?

cupcake

all disks are the same type.

All 2TB Western Digital Green drives.

Trig0r

Sorry, I mean when you have created the partition..

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Trig0r

Oh, and if you are using greens change the idle time on them or they'll fail smart tests as they park the heads too often..

cupcake
8 minutes ago, Trig0r said:

Sorry, I mean when you have created the partition..

You mean when setting up the array?

I followed the setup process to setup a new array and selected all 4 drives to create the logical drive.

I can go back and double check the setup tonight though to make sure.

cupcake
9 minutes ago, Trig0r said:

Oh, and if you are using greens change the idle time on them or they'll fail smart tests as they park the heads too often..

Thanks for that.

I wasn't aware of that issue.

Trig0r

Where you have the 2tb partition, right click on it, and presuming it's empty and you haven't started moving data, delete the volume, then once it's gone you should see a 4tb free space, right click and create a new volume, and use the whole disk, should work..

cupcake
26 minutes ago, Trig0r said:

Where you have the 2tb partition, right click on it, and presuming it's empty and you haven't started moving data, delete the volume, then once it's gone you should see a 4tb free space, right click and create a new volume, and use the whole disk, should work..

Thanks for the quick replies.

Just tried this and still seeing the 2 volumes of unallocated space

I can create a new simple volume on the 2TB space, but the other space just has properties and help available when I right click on it.

Capture.PNG

Trig0r

Which suggests its not GPT and is hitting the 2tb limit.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      Dropbox is deprecating  the "free" tier of their storage plans

got an email from them this evening  that "I cannot link any new devices" and the only alternative is to upgrade to a $10/month plan

This is from their forums

"Dropbox device limit
      Dropbox Limits Its Free Accounts To Maximum Of Three Devices. Previously, there was no such limit implemented. According to the Dropbox website, as of March, users of its free Basic tier can add their account to a maximum of three devices. However, if they already had the device linked to more than three devices, then they will continue to function. "
      I don't know how hard and fast this is  -   I tried installing a dropbox instance on my cell phone and couldn't this evening -    I think my main PC

is on the list -   I couldn't find a listing of existing "connected devices"  on my dropbox account.

I don't even know what my other two devices are -   probably long gone  my old windows cell phone for example.

Just as Well -    Dropbox was my main cloud storage about what 10 years ago but with the improvements to OneDrive/Gdrive, and my eventual use of Office 365 storage became kinda moot.   will probably just cancel my account, which is probably what they wanted anyway

what is the old saying  "If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product"    

also   "once bitten twice shy"     Cloud Storage is not a  true  backup  

due to Crashplan's demise,    this winter I backed up all my irreplaceable data  ( family photos, documents)  on   M-Disk archival Blu ray disks.  

I have a copy in my firesafe and at my Brother's house  in another state.   

• rubenbb
      By rubenbb
      Hi all,

I have a HP Microserver Gen 8 upgraded to Xeon E3 1265 v2, 16Gb RAM, SSD 256 Gb on the ODD Port and 2 x 3 TB WD RED disks

In the SSD I have an ESXi 6.5 U2 (HP custom image) version installed (driver downgraded to 5.5.088 from 5.5.102) and the WD Disks are in RAID 1 for datastore of vmware related files

I just bought a HP 410 Raid Controller with 1gb FWBC and battery 

I did read a lot about this subject, I know that isn't possible to be monitored by ILO 4....but I would like if someone can confirm me my thoughts about how to made this migration

1) Plug HP410 on the mobo
      2) Connect Cable used in the disks WD to the lower port of the P410
      3) Connect ODD cable used for the SSD Disk in the upper port of the p410
      4) Turn On microserver and enter in the SSA and check if arrays created in the b120i are visible for the p410
      5) If is OK, restart

Questions:
      - I have that to do something for to boot the SSD that has ESXi installation when boot up server?
      - Driver 5.5.088 hpvsa will see the datastores on the p410 without no action from my side?
      - Must I disable b120i on bios or is possible co-live with the P410

It'll be very apreciated the help 
    • arefiev.dm
      By arefiev.dm
      Hello! I put P222 on my Gen8 server, but I can not use RAID6. Can someone share the key?
    • Josef
      By Josef
      Hi,
      I have "new" HP MS Gen8 with HP smart RAID B120i. CPU G1610T, factory date cca 2016(?)
      I cant use  FREENAS with software raid (as on my old BlackCube) because my G8 colect my HDDs to RAID at all AHCI BIOS/Setup configurations
      Whan I try use F5 to disable RAID, HP app Smart Store Administrator show me message:
      "No licenses found on the selected controller."
      viz pictures
      HP Smart Store Administrator show me "0 Physical drivers" (3x WD 4TB + 1x WD 3TB, all HDD3,5" NAS ware 3.0)
      and in Freenas I can see one "disk" 7,7TB ... :-(

I used directly connected LCD and keyboard for elininated  iLO trouble.
      Box is out of HP warranty.

q1: Do you have some idea about restore Raid Licence ?
      q2: How eliminated Smart Raid function?
      q3: Exist any HP or community firmware to convert B120i as only AHCI mode without Raid functions ? 

Thanks
      thanks for every useful advice Josef

• Mikey70
      By Mikey70
      After a shutdown my perfectly working HP Microserver gen8 with Windows Server 2016 didn't start again. In the HPE Smart Storage Administrator everything looks fine, the arrays are in place, but Windows don't seem to recognize it anymore. If I try to boot from the installation media I'm unable to load the b120i driver, the installtion just hangs. If I use Intelligent Provisioning I'm afraid to start the installation because it sais:

Pressing continue will install the  selected operating system and will reset all drives to a freshly installed state. Data currently on this server will be lost. This is normal when installing an operating system.

I choose to keep all array settings in the beginning of the guid. I'm ok with my system disk being wiped clean, but I don't wan't to loose the stuff that's on the other disks, there are photos, documents there that I need.

Does anyone know if the other disks are safe if I press continue? Or if there is a way to get the smart array recognized by Windows Server again?

Mikey