RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What Vail brings to the table

usacomp2k3

So what does Vail add over V1 that provides incentive to upgrade? I thought I'd revisit my post from 9 months ago and see how things are panning out:

Needs:

True Data Redundancy

(-1) Nope. No such luck. They even took out DE, so they get a negative point for that

Disk Performance Improvements

(0) I haven't run the beta, but from what I hear, it's not substantially faster. It certainly doesn't have dual seeks, with DE gone. They are instead relying on hardware solutions.

System Restores

(.5) Again, I haven't run the beta, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and hoping they fixed this.

Better DLNA support

(0) I haven't heard anything about improved DLNA server. They do have a web streaming now, but that's proprietary, so a step in the wrong direction, IMHO.

Wants:

Disk Images

(0) No such luck.

VPN

(0) No such luck

Zune integration

(0) No such luck

Media Center

(0) No such luck (notice a recurring theme?)

Live Mesh

(.5) At least Vail is supported in Live Essential 2011, so I'll give them half a point.

So in summary, on the areas I thought needed improvements, they score a -0.5 out of 4. On the areas I wanted improvement, they scored a .5 out of 5. Obviously Microsoft really isn't listening to their customers and don't have an idea what it is that the typical uses the system for. Rather than this stupid putzing around, they should either just kill Vail, or give us something worth upgrading to. A half-arsed attempt is a waste of their resources and the only thing I see this providing is an excuse to kill it down the road: "Well we had to kill it because it doesn't sell well".

Based on this analysis, Vail doesn't bring anything to the table so I see no reason to upgrade from V1.

</rant>

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• kermi

• SLicK

It does provide a simple solution for backing up client machines, but the same thing can be done by running backup job on client machine and saving backups to central location.

I don't see this as a big plus.

(0) I haven't run the beta, but from what I hear, it's not substantially faster. It certainly doesn't have dual seeks, with DE gone. They are instead relying on hardware solutions.

What is dual seeks?

It does provide a simple solution for backing up client machines, but the same thing can be done by running backup job on client machine and saving backups to central location.

I don't see this as a big plus.

I mean bring over and above version 1.

What is dual seeks?

What I mentioned in the original post was that for data that is duplicated, then the system should read from both disks and thus have a theoretical read speed of 2x a single drive. A good hardware RAID1 array has this performance enhancement as well.

Completely agree usacomp2k3. As it stands right now, I see no reason for me to move from WHSv1 to Vail. We will see what the next beta has to offer (assuming they don't kill Vail before then) and then I will have a better handle on the next step for me (WHS v1 for a while longer, Aurora, Vail or some Linux solution).

Guest no-control

Needs:

True Data Redundancy

(-1) Nope. No such luck. They even took out DE, so they get a negative point for that <- Buy pulling DE they actually improved this, by relying on RAID you now have true data redundancy. +1

(0) I haven't run the beta, but from what I hear, it's not substantially faster. It certainly doesn't have dual seeks, with DE gone. They are instead relying on hardware solutions. <- in my testing it's been more responsive, but not really faster. +.5 But with DE gone and the move to full RAID performance should be quite a bit faster now. so +1

System Restores

(.5) Again, I haven't run the beta, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and hoping they fixed this. <- haven't had one fail yet, but being a beta and the fact I don't fully trust it yet agreed. +.5

Better DLNA support

(0) I haven't heard anything about improved DLNA server. They do have a web streaming now, but that's proprietary, so a step in the wrong direction, IMHO. <- I don't use it that way but agreed. 0

From my point of view they have a +3 in the needs category. As for your wants, they are your wants and therefore no need for me to comment.

True Data Redundancy

(-1) Nope. No such luck. They even took out DE, so they get a negative point for that <- Buy pulling DE they actually improved this, by relying on hardware RAID you now have true data redundancy. +1

Well Yes and No on that.. You are screwed deep the second that hardware RAID controller decides to release the magic smoke. There goes your entire arrays data, and it's not at all guaranteed that you can obtain a spare from the OEM, if you choose to go that route.

Need to be sure to make an apples to apples comparison. You can't look at the current beta and then theorize on the removal of DE for only one area. DE was so integral to WHSv1, I can only imagine that DE would both help and hurt just about every single one of your bullet points.

So far, I see Vail brings a base OS upgrade that offers better performance, 64-bit availability and better driver support for things like EARS drives. Vail also brings a customizable dashboard experience and media streaming over the internet. If I can find a reasonable solution to replace DE, then I'm still looking at Vail to become my own private cloud.