RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

High fan speed with ESXi

hid3nax

Hello everyone.

Yet another fan speed thread.

For testing purposes, I have installed Debian 8 on the MS (Xeon 1265L v2, 12 GB RAM, one 500 GB HDD, configured as RAID0 with stock controller). The fan speed, as per ILO, was constantly at 12%.

Later on, I have installed ESXi 6.0U2 (the HP version). Also, downgraded the scsi driver to 0.88.

Now this is where the problems begin. 

When ESXi is booting, the fan speed is anywhere between 10-12%.

Once it successfully boots (no vitual machines, just ESXi itself!), the fan starts spinning at 65-70% speed.

I know this is not normal and fan should be at lower speeds.

Any guidance/procedures on normalizing this? I have seen folks running as low as 6% with ESXi...

Thanks!

That doesn't sound good at all. I am running the latest Hp Esxi 6.5 November version with normal hard drives which make gen 8's louder apparently and a hd 6450 which also make them louder and in a hot loft 24c inlet temp at 15 percent fan. Have a look at ilo and see what your inlet temp is. it all seems to be linked to that mine was in my front room I tried everything to make it quiet moved it to the cold loft and was at 8 percent fan had a different setup then though but when the front room was colder the fan dropped. Why have you downdraged the controller

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...