RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hot swap drive activity lights

actigner

I just recently built up a ML10V2 server and updated it with a hot swap cage and associated trays. For some reason I'm not getting any activity lights on the front of the trays when the server is running. I know the lights work because they briefly come on when the server is powered up. The drives are being driven by a P410 Smart Array and I'm wondering if that's not the reason. I have had nothing but good luck with the P410 controller and would be surprised if it was the cause. Everything works great except I see no activity lights.

Might be using a cable without the sideband / I2C ( or SGPIO) wires connected.
Some (SFF-8087) backplane cables do, and some don't have sideband / SGPIO / I2C support.
Purchasing a HP backplane cable should fix the issue.
(or search for a supported Internal Mini-SAS Cable SFF-8087 To SFF-8087 w/ Sideband)

Tried a new Genuine HP SAS cable (493228-005) and still no lights. This was one of the cables that was for the P410 so I have no way of knowing if it's sideband or not The original cable was this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW1ZCVW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I did find one on Amazon that has the specs you mentioned https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-Internal-SFF-8087-Sideband-0-8-Meter/dp/B017CO6JRO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492372558&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=internal%2Bmini-sas%2Bcable%2Bto%2Bsff-8087%2Bsideband&th=1

Does anyone actually have this working?
I'd say there's good chance that activity lights on Gen8+ caddies work only with Gen8+ controllers. 

4 hours ago, tomaash said:

I'd say there's good chance that activity lights on Gen8+ caddies work only with Gen8+ controllers. 

When I look at Ken's video on installing the hot swap cage in a ML10V2 the drives seem to be flashing but then again he is not using a P410. I would like to think that cables are not the issue as they should be fairly standard.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update but unfortunately not a fix. I just built a second ML10V2 to support a FreeNAS 9 installation. It is also configured with a P410 Smart Array and a hot swap cage (686745-002), backplane (686756-002), and some knockoff drive caddies from eBay. I added two additional drives in the 5.25 bays to make up a 3TB X 6 array although they are configured as JBOD so that I can use ZFS with FreeNAS (this seems the be the preferred FreeNAS option versus using hardware RAID). Based on a suggestion in an earlier post I even tried some cables with the sideband capability but still no dice.

I was hoping that I would see activity lights with this new installation which might shed some light on the culprit but it wasn't to be. Just like the other box, they do illuminate briefly (all the lights) when you power up the box but never again after that. I even plugged the SAS cable into the B120i on-board controller to see if that lit up anything but it did not (at least during boot up).

I realize that the P410 is dated hardware but they are really cheap, support 8 internal drives, and just work without issues. If there is a better HP controller that might be more compatible with this hardware I'd be interested in your suggestions.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:36 AM, tomaash said:

Do you have an example of a Gen 8+ controller?

P222 (4 int drives only), P420 (8 int drives). Those are Smart Array controllers.
For FreeNas you'd be better off with H220 HBA, which is even officially supported on ML10v2. Smart Arrays (P-series controllers) can never provide direct access to disks for proper FreeNas experience.

• Like 1