RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help with SSD Install

PINKTULIP

HI Guys

OK after all the good stuff you have told me about SSD's i have pulled the trigger and just received a Crucial 64Gb SSD which had great reviews on the site.

I am putting it into my Dell Inspiron 9400, which i have just apdated the BIOS to revision A10, but it appear there is no support for AHCI.

The WIN7 install disk has copied the files, but it seems to 'Hang' at the 'Expanding Windows' part of the install.

The CD is spinning and seems active, but it doesnt appear to be going any further! I have left it running for well over an hour, and i would normally have expected the install to complete by now.

Is there anything i should have done first, or can anyone make any suggestions.

Thanks

Pete

Guest no-control

Is this disk recognized in the BIOS? Is the optical recognized in the BIOS? Does this W7disk install onto another hdd? Sounds like a bad install disk or optical connection to me. I would also try plugging the SSD into another PC to verify that it is recognized by an Operating system. SSDs aren't perfect like spindle drives I've received bad ones fresh out of the box. You might need to RMA it.

Thanks, it has now been running a few hours, and is still at the 'Expanding Windows files' stage but gone up to 1% complete, should i leave it to run?

Guest no-control

Uhhhh....you have something wrong. It shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes to install 7 on any PC. I start doing some troubleshooting 101 and check cables and such. You can leave it running but its seems to be having an issue. How fast was it to get to the install menu, where you select what drive to install it on? If after the install is done performance isn't stellar I would have to say RMA the drive. Could be a bad controller or NAND modules.

I would also unplug any other drives you might installed until after the O/S install is done.