RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Turbo drive Z G2 PCIe on Microserver Gen8

rumo

Not tried ... but I considered buying a refurbished HP Z620 workstation requiring some thought about fitting the G2 version drive.

Potential problems:

1. Physical size: the G2 is designed for workstations with a full height slot ... but it looks like it might take a small form factor bracket.

2. I doubt the GEN8 MS will have a BIOS including HP's version of NVME support ... so you are probably into BIOS modding territory e.g. http://www.win-raid.com/

3. If you run the drive hot will it compromise the thermals of the MS and stress the fan?

4. The G2 is expensive ... you might have more joy with a consumer product e.g. https://tinkertry.com/how-to-install-a-2nd-samsung-950-pro-m2-nvme-on-superserver

5. The MS slot is PCI 2.0 ... and NVME drives use 4 lanes so you are probably OK with 2GBs throughput. Whether you can create a workload on the MS which needs this bandwidth is another matter!

My best guess is that you will obtain the most joy using a SAMSUNG device, providing you can find a BIOS mod.

Edited by JackoUK

Thanks a lot. I don't expect to need to boot off the Z drive, only to read/write in AHCI mode, not sure if it's possible?

Re height, HP documentation states that it's a half height, half length? Their first generation which I believe is AHCI has instructions for installing into a SFF workstation by fitting a half height bracket which HP can supply... not sure if G1 and G2 are identical size though...

Not tried ... but I considered buying a refurbished HP Z620 workstation requiring some thought about fitting the G2 version drive.

Potential problems:

1. Physical size: the G2 is designed for workstations with a full height slot ... but it looks like it might take a small form factor bracket.

2. I doubt the GEN8 MS will have a BIOS including HP's version of NVME support ... so you are probably into BIOS modding territory e.g. http://www.win-raid.com/

3. If you run the drive hot will it compromise the thermals of the MS and stress the fan?

4. The G2 is expensive ... you might have more joy with a consumer product e.g. https://tinkertry.com/how-to-install-a-2nd-samsung-950-pro-m2-nvme-on-superserver

5. The MS slot is PCI 2.0 ... and NVME drives use 4 lanes so you are probably OK with 2GBs throughput. Whether you can create a workload on the MS which needs this bandwidth is another matter!

My best guess is that you will obtain the most joy using a SAMSUNG device, providing you can find a BIOS mod.

The bios on the gen 8 is signed so there will be no bios mods

The 16x slot is pcie 3 with a xeon

Driver Description: LSI Adapter, SAS2 2308 Mustang
Version: 3.0
Maximum Link Width: 8x
Current Link Width: 8x
Maximum Link Speed: 8.0 GT/s
Current Link Speed: 8.0 GT/s
Device/Port Type: PCI Express Endpoint

GEN8 BIOS signed ... = no tinkering .... so if NVME is not already supported = no chance.

All 8 lanes with Gen 3 PCI for a XEON ... sounds good. Pity I don't have one!

Sounds like SSD without NVME is the limit.

Thank you for confirming.

In terms of the size of the card, I believe it will probably fit, although it might not allow removal of the system board assembly without removing the card first.

Non NVME via inexpensive PCIe M.2 adapter card be it then. 

2 hours ago, rumo said:

Thank you for confirming.

In terms of the size of the card, I believe it will probably fit, although it might not allow removal of the system board assembly without removing the card first.

Non NVME via inexpensive PCIe M.2 adapter card be it then. 

If you do go for it ...

... let us know what bandwidth you get.

Have I mentioned my "educated guesswork is not a guarantee" clause yet?

Did you have any luck getting this to work?

I've been banging my head against getting a Samsung XP941 AHCI 512GB drive in a M.2 to PCI-E adapter to boot.

Windows 2016 installer refuses to install to the disk, but if I boot up off the existing SATA drive it can see and use the drive just fine.

I have a sinking feeling that the BIOS does not contain the necessary bits to allow PCI-E SSD booting . . .

1 hour ago, Trig0r said:

Would that not require UEFI rather than traditional BIOS?

That is my assumption, but wanted to verify I haven't overlooked anything.