RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trying to apply GPO but DNS

jonsnow

Been a long time user of WSE 2012 R2 and had all my clients setup in a workgroup bypassing the domain join when installing the client connector. Now I want to actually start applying GPO's on WSE and have them applied to the clients, I have configured a GPO on WSE to disable Cortana on all windows 10 computers. Tested on a VM and the GPO apply without fail.

Now to the issue, in order to apply the GPO to the clients the client DNS has to be set to use WSE which I don't want. I have my own DNS servers setup outside of windows that handle the DNS for the network and would like to continue to use my DNS servers instead of using WSE.

Any way to accomplish this?  I don't care if the clients are on domain/workgroup as long as the GPO apply and I don't have to use WSE as the DNS. It seems silly that WSE is forced as the DNS, especially for potable devices that may not be on the same network.

Edited by jonsnow

The only way i know to get around this would be to use a host host on server and either static IP Addresses or DHCP reservations that match the entries in the host file.

What are the DNS namespaces of the domain vs the DNS server are you using? are they the same (for example is the AD domain xyz.com or is it abc.xyz.com or xyz.local) if there is a difference between the AD domains and there is no publically routable equivalent that needs to be accessed internally there may be a way to achieve it

the server domain is xyz.local the dns server is a independent linux based dns server, its just a internal ip address that i have setup on my router to forward all dns queries to that ip address which then does the dns lookup. 

Edited by jonsnow