RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How many bad blocks on a HDD are acceptable?

Jason

I've had several leftover HDDs from past systems that I've used for Windows Server Backup destination drives, and general "utility" drives in my WSE121R2 server.

Recently Stablebit Scanner has reported a "damaged" file system on a Samsung HD204UI (2 TB HDD) that I use as a utility drive... for downloading, unpacking files, etc.  Not necessarily for storage.  While chkdsk and the SBScanner apps do not report any file system issues no matter how many different times and ways I scan this drive, the SBScanner add-in consistently flags the same blocks as unreadable.  Can't reset this status.  Even did a full format of the drive yesterday and SBS has again flagged the same part of the HDD.

Should I continue using the drive in the way until it fails?  Or as best practice, would others recommend I just copy and data off this drive, retire and replace it now rather than watch it slowly fail?

Thanks.

Any bad blocks or smart errors and I'll bin a drive, had a 4tb drive the other day, smart error as airflow had hit 72oC, other than that the drive was fine, surface scans came back clear..

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Any bad blocks or smart errors and I'll bin a drive, had a 4tb drive the other day, smart error as airflow had hit 72oC, other than that the drive was fine, surface scans came back clear..

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Thanks. I opted to follow this same route. Pulled that drive with bad blocks. Nothing sensitive on it. Will simply trash it. Replaced with another on the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure there are plenty of people that will use a drive with SMART errors in an external caddy, or for storing temp files etc but I've always been of the mindset a drive will only get worse, not better...