RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 - Couple Of Beginners Questions

eintracht

Hi,
  I would first like to thank all the contrbutors to the Gen8 forums who have helped me so much in the past few weeks along with the YouTube videos I've watched over and over.
 Three weeks ago I'd never even heard of a Gen8 Microserver but now I've ordered one (E3-1220Lv2) which will hopefully arrive next week. I've got all the extras (SDD disc and cables) to install an SDD into the ODD slot, I've bought my OS (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) for my Microserver and transferred it to a USB stick and I've downloaded all the SPP, b120i drivers, iLO, HPSUM updates ready for the install. I've just got a couple of simple questions that hopefully the more experienced on here can help me with.
1. The HDD Config. I was looking at 4 x 4TB WD Red in Raid1 config to give me 8TB of space however once that is used up I'm in trouble so my other thought was to buy 2 x 8TB HDDs.
initially, install them as Raid1 so I have 8TB but be able, when required in the future, to purchase 2 more 8TB to fill the other HDD slots and give me 16TB. I've read that the storage limit in the Gen8 is 16TB but
I'm pretty sure others on this forum have exceeded that.
2. Is it possible to hang an external NAS off the Gen8 server and, if so, how. I'd like to avoid having to install extra cards etc. within the server if possible.
3. If I am going to run a Plex Server on my Gen8 and the Samsung Plex app on my Samsung smart TV do I need a special graphics card to do this (I dont think so but want to be sure).
4. How do you connect external security house cameras to the Gen8 without using a DVR ?

5. I assume, until I've got it fully up and running, I will need to connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor to the Gen8 until I'm able to Remote in from my PC.
I have to say I'm really excited about getting my Gen8 and turning it on for the first time but I'm also scared stiff as well !!!
Many thanks for all your help.
Chris

The 16 limit is gb of ram not tb of disk space, Shonk I think it is, has probably exceeded that...

Raid, why, what are you thinking you might gain from that over drivepool/scanner..?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Short reply on phone, will go into your other points when on PC later if someone else hasn't cant stand posting on my mobile

Thanks for your reply. Initially, as this is my first Microserver setup, I want to keep things as simple as possible. I've read the posts here and also watched the YouTube videos on RAID config on a Gen8 and I'm fairly comfortable I can easily do this and it suits my to-start-with basic needs. I've not come across drivepool (yet) so am unaware what advantages it gives over RAID.

I've just checked the HP technical spec and data sheet on the Gen8 Microserver and it mentions a maximum internal storage of 16TB.

Hi All,

Great job on the HMS board - amazing insights and experiences!

I'm probably getting to the same point as eintracht and i also have some questions where i would benefit a lot from your experience.

My current setup:

1 x DS213 with 6TB storage used as Download station, Media server and Plex server (cabled to 1gbps router with 1gbps connection).

My (future) setup:

1 x Gen8 MS with 8gb RAM(I will find later if the server has 2 x 4GB or 1 x 8GB) and G1610T CPU

What i plan on doing on my (future) setup:

1.Upgrade CPU to e3-1265L v2 (ordered from Ebay) - i'll also order from Amazon Artic 5 pack - the same that John Stutsman used in his videos

2.install 4 x 3tb (3.5inch) nas hdd (ordered)

3.install 16gb RAM (i need to know what's on it before I can move forward with this) - not in a hurry atm and can wait

4.install 250GB SSD in ODD slot ( I believe that the best option is Icy Dock - power from floppy connector with connection to 5th sata port) - for OS, any programs and temp files.

My questions:

A) I would like to know if I can have OS and programs on microSD card without the need of installing an additional SSD in the ODD slot or not - on my current DS213 I have RAID 0 with no data protection and EXT4 file system - i was happy with that).

B) From what I understood in order to have OS on the SSD i need to create a RAID 0 for SSD and another RAID 0 for HDDs (4 x 3tb).

C) Do I need to order BRKT ODD SLIMLINE 9.5 - 532475-001 if I want to install SSD in ODD slot? ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/532475-001-HP-SPS-BRKT-ODD-SLIMLINE-9-5-532475-001-3D-Printed-/332155439066?hash=item4d5601c7da:g:A1oAAOSwzaJX~mRP )

D) I am currently used to my Synology interface and this is something i'd like to have (if possible, but I haven't done any research yet) - would this be possible?

E) Would be better to run Windows server (2012/2016) or just a normal Win7/Win10 if something close to Synology UI is not available? Do you have any other suggestions based on the above?

I will not:

- run databases or virtualisation at the moment (but i want to bring the machine to a level where I am comfortable doing whatever goes thru my mind) - I might throw in a virtual Linux machine when i'm in need of one, but I would like to keep things simple for now at least.

- have physical access to the machine (other than the initial installation and probably 2-3 time a year for a few days each time) - the machine will be located abroad, so I will have to manage it remotely or guide someone thru the phone.

Thank you all in advance

@eintracht: 

I've got all the extras (SDD disc and cables) to install an SDD into the ODD slot, I've bought my OS (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) for my Microserver and transferred it to a USB stick and I've downloaded all the SPP, b120i drivers, iLO, HPSUM updates ready for the install

2. Is it possible to hang an external NAS off the Gen8 server and, if so, how. I'd like to avoid having to install extra cards etc. within the server if possible.
3. If I am going to run a Plex Server on my Gen8 and the Samsung Plex app on my Samsung smart TV do I need a special graphics card to do this (I dont think so but want to be sure).
4. How do you connect external security house cameras to the Gen8 without using a DVR ?

5. I assume, until I've got it fully up and running, I will need to connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor to the Gen8 until I'm able to Remote in from my PC.

- can you please share what you've downloaded? (all the SPP, b120i drivers, iLO, HPSUM updates) - links or Wetransfer

- all the extras (SDD disc and cables) - what cables have you ordered? I believed it would be simpler for me to have the Icy Dock ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ICY-Dock-MB411SPO-B-2-5-SAS-SATA-HDD-SSD-Notebook-Slim-ODD-Mobile-Rack-/222127986329?hash=item33b7dc1699:g:I2QAAOSwZ1lWdR0e )

I am pretty sure you can install more than 16tb - take a look here ( http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8472-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket/page-3#entry99460 )and ( http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8472-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket/page-2#entry95988 ) with what @Shonk did.

2.I believe this is possible - check here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8472-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket/page-3#entry100086

3.Regarding Plex client on your Samsung TV - no, you don't need a Graphics card - your server will stream for Plex app on Samsung TV (I have a 2016 Samsung TV with Plex app available and the only problem i'm having is that when I try to play videos with external subtitles the stream doesn't work anymore - I don't know if it's a Plex app problem on Samsung TVs or something different - but playing video on Samsung tablet subtitles work)

4.I would also like to find out this as I have Samsung cameras and I manage them thru Samsung SmartCam android app - ideally I will make them put videos on the server (i will create a dedicated shared drive for them to save there)

5.Good question

Thank you

Edited by ares_geo

Actually, I was exceeding 16tb in my Gen8, I had 3x4tb drives and a 6tb drive so as above, was 16tb most likely as that's what drives were certified at the time..

RAID, unless you have a proper backup setup, any RAID array could fail and leave you with no data, Drivepool adds disks to a pool but those disks are formatted NTFS/ReFS so if the machine dies for whatever reason you can simply put the drives into another machine and there is your data, for that alone its worth not bothering with RAID, also, with RAID you are going to lose disk space, Drivepool will allow you to duplicate important folders so that data is on more than one drive, so any one drive can die and your important stuff is safe.

Hanging a NAS off of the server, how do you mean, NAS by the name, would suggest its connected to the network, so wouldn't need to run from an additional card from the server.

Plex, no GPU required, transcoding, if needed, ran from the CPU in the server.

CCTV, you can run cameras in "open" mode (ie, they connect to the network rather than directly into a DVR/NVR (closed mode) all you would need would be some software that your cameras work on, IP them up, set the stream quality/fps/bitrate and all that jazz and off you go.

Gen8 comes with iLo, you can do the initial setup using KB/Mouse and then RDP, or, buy an iLo licence which will give you access to the server as long as theres power into the back of it, even if it is switched off..  Basic iLo gives you about 30 seconds iirc before it kicks you off, but theres nothing stopping you reconnecting after that 30 seconds, its just annoying being dropped out and having to reconnect.

ares_geo​,

I cant answer all of your questions but I can tell you a few things I decided on and why which may help. I'm going for Win 10 Pro because it was a cheaper option than Win Server, I'm comfortable with the Win environment and Pro gives you remote access to your Gen8. If you watch one of John's videos it shows you how to configure your drives using SSA in RAID. They don't both have to be RAID0 but as I understand it if you use the on board B120i you are restricted to RAID0, 1 or 10. I should have phrased my question about storage limits a little better. I did read the post where SHONK installed God knows how many hard drives into his Gen8. I do not want to add additional hardware / cards etc, (except my SDD which I believe is essential for me), I should have asked is there a 16TB limit restriction for the 4 HDD slots ? But Tig0r has addressed that so I'm going to go with  2 x 8TB and add 2 others at a later stage. As for the cables for the SSD I went along to my local computer shop in Bundaberg and bought a SATA data cable and a floppy - HDD power converter cable exactly like the ones in John's video where he fits a SSD to the ODD (still got to get my electrical tape yet though!!). They only cost me AUS$5 each. I believe my Gen8 comes with 1 x 4GB RAM, I will upgrade to 2 x 4GB RAM once I am up and running.

Trig0r, thank you for your answers.

Not sure what the price difference is where you are but go for an 8 over a 4, gives you 12 rather than the 8 you're looking at..