RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What is DLNA discussion

usacomp2k3

I've been waiting to see the home theater situation to be tied up in a smaller, neater package. 2 or 3 devices generating heat and noise also generates low WAF. So, come on, DLNA!

SHED

"...dedicated transcode hardware is known as Secured Hardware Encoder Decoder (SHED). SHED can be packaged either as a plug-in module for the motherboard or as an integrated feature on the display adapter."

My take is that SHED devices are intended to offload processing, functioning as a sort of hardware API. Is that about right? Ideally, SHED would be a widely accepted industry standard? Ambitious.

That's how I understand it too. One think I don't know is whether they are for PC use only, or whether you could have a NAS that has a SHED device in it that would allow for more complicated transcoding. Well complicated on the back-end, but simple in that the DMS could transcode pretty much every format to something common like mpeg2.

I'm betting the latter, especially if SHED expects to meet with industry-wide acceptance.

I honestly feel like we're in one of those technological 'transition' stages where critical competing ideas are floating about. We consumers scramble to figure out which devices will do all the things we want, or most of them anyways, in an elegant, energy-conscious way. WAF and all of that.

I get the distinct feeling that in a few short years, maybe months, a number of us will own a pile of shiny, relatively-new but obsolete junk. But hey, we love this stuff, right? You betcha!

I will say that some devices, at least, are working themselves hard at adapting new Tech. I mean the PS3 has already promised support for 3d blu-ray, even when the standard was just announced. Also Roku is continually working on getting partners. I think some devices will jump on the bandwagon of DLNA and run with it.

A couple of noob questions- I read your article and the linked m$ article but still have a couple of questions...

It seems that media player has more capability to push (play to) than media center does. I'm going to upgrade to win7 (from vista) soon, but was looking at either a ps3 or xbox360 to use as an extender. It seems that pulling media requires codecs on the extenders, but pushing does not? To what extent does media center support dlna, as opposed to media player? Could I push media through an xbox but do so from the xbox extender interface without having to do so from the media center computer? does pushing media require transcoding if the extender does not have a codec for the original format of the media?

Thanks for your help!

In short, Media Center really doesn't support it. To answer your questions specifically:
"using the ps3 as an extender" Do you mean Extender in the sense of Media Center Extender? Because the PS3 doesn't support that functionality.
You are somewhat correct about pushing vs. pulling. If you are pulling outside of the DLNA realm then the player has to be able to have the codec. However if you are pulling or pushing within the DLNA scheme, then if the DMS has transcoding capabilities, it will handle that for you, regardless of directionality.

Something that I didn't really delve into in the article is Media Center extenders. They are completely independent of DLNA. Wikipedia actually has a pretty decent explanation of the technology. In short, the extender mode is actually a form of remote-desktop to the host computer.

So you could only use a ps3 inside of DLNA then. What about devices like the Popcorn Hour and Xtreamer? Are these DLNA devices? Are they Media Center Extenders? Does each DLNA device have it's own gui for accessing files on the network, or is there a windows style standard?

Thanks for your time!

The only version 2 (Vista, but work with win7 also) extenders are:
HP MediaSmart Connect - x280n
Xbox 360 (Works in MCE 2005 and Vista)
Linksys DMA2100
Linksys DMA2200 (Integrated DVD Player)
D-Link DSM-750
Niveus Media Extender - EDGE
HP MediaSmart HDTV (With software update from April 2008)
Samsung MediaLive Digital Media Extender MR-00EA1

In terms of DLNA devices, I don't know off the top of my head. You can find the list of all certified devices at: http://www.dlna.org/products