RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How Microsoft can clean up the mess in SOHO

diehard

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-microsoft-can-clean-up-the-mess-in-its-home-and-small-business-server-business/2744

Here's a link to What Ed Bott has to say.

"If you want your customers to trust you, don’t lie to them."

"I want to talk about how Microsoft delivered the bad news, and how in a matter of hours they destroyed their relationship with a large and loyal customer base."

What do you think ?

The solution I would choose from his list is;

"bring back the first-generation Drive Extender code and whip it into shape as an optional add-on for enthusiasts who want to build multi-disk boxes. Make it available only for Vail and block its installation on the small-business servers."

HP and Asus have already tried 1 and 2 drive WHS v1 boxes, but HP ended up pulling out. I don't think they sold many.

I expect Vail to be installed on new equipment and not old PC lying around the house as was suggested with WHS v1.

As to Ed Bott's suggestions, I don't see the practicality of a single-drive server. Probably no one on these forums does either, at least not for themselves. Among other things, that prevents the use of duplication. I'm fine with the idea of bringing it back in full or as an addin. His SkyDrive thought is pie in the sky, though 50-100GB free online storage that is easily accessible would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

As to Ed Bott's suggestions, I don't see the practicality of a single-drive server. Probably no one on these forums does either, at least not for themselves. Among other things, that prevents the use of duplication. I'm fine with the idea of bringing it back in full or as an addin. His SkyDrive thought is pie in the sky, though 50-100GB free online storage that is easily accessible would be nice.

If the single drive was actually two in a RAID 1 configuration then that may solve the duplication issue. Chris.

A few years ago I lost several hard drives in very short succession. This ended when I returned a 160 gb sata to Seagate and a Maxtor 750 gb in short succession. The attitude of Maxtor stunk: (This was billed by you as a backup drive and now my backup is lost.....etc) So when the refurbished 160 gb was sent back, it had a brother waiting for it and my desktop system has been "mirror raided" ever since! Of course since then it has never failed :) Recognising that this was fine for the desktop but provided no cover for my laptops or external drives I farted about with several unsuccessful backup methods until around two years later WHS was released! So I cobbled together a computer and built my first WHS....Perfect! Times were good and I was able to upgrade the storage space freely to fit my needs by buying external and internal drives of varying sizes as my budget allowed.

This year things ran off the rails. I lost my job unfairly; got another with a 25% pay cut, got made redundant from that after 3 months, spent 3 months unemployed before the company that made me redundant came back and said "sorry we made a mistake and kept the wrong man. Please come back!" So I go back now $4,000+ in debt through no fault of my own!

Point?

For Microsoft to just blithely assume that any of it's WHS customer base can just throw out three or four (or maybe more) hard drives and blow better than $150 to suddenly raid their system just shows how far from reality they live. They need to wake up to the fact that there is a recession going on out there and even if there wasn't I can spend my own money without their help.

For me to raid WHS is a step backwards, unnecessary expense and not why I bought it in the first place! I bought it to save the expense of having to raid drives not double my expenditure and especially not when times are at their hardest

Edited by britishbob