Sign in to follow this  
VR6Pete

Which SSD - HP Gen8

VR6Pete    1
VR6Pete

Hi Guys,

Looking at purchasing an SSD for my HP Gen8, around 500GB in size - what are people running in theirs , and are there any offers on currently for this capacity?

Cheers

Pete

schoondoggy    570
schoondoggy

I tend to recommend SSD from manufacturers that design/fab their own flash chips and controllers:

Samsung

Intel, Crucial, Micron

Sandisk, WD, Toshiba, OCZ

SK-Hynix

Currently I am running SSD from: Samsung, SK-Hynix, Sandisk, Adata, Intel, Corsair, Transcend, OCZ all are working fine.

SSD pricing has been up a bit over the last few months due to flash shortage. Most 'sale' price SSD are $.25-$.30 per GB. Six months ago they were $.20-$.25 per GB. I post SSDs in the deal section when I find them. I have bought used and refurbished SSDs in the past and have had good luck with them.

H00GiE    9
H00GiE

Is Enterprise grade relevant here at all since these disks can function as cache for the mechanical disks OR just store the speedy parts needed for OS/Databases. 

Would consumer grade SSD last long enough? (as cache drives and/or OS disks) 

I know nothing about what chips are better and lasts longer.

But i'm thinking as a last upgrade i'd install 3 or 4 SSDs in raid 0 for the ultimate speed setup running the OS part of my VMs + database storage.
They will be backed by a LSI 9271CV 8i with only 6gb SATA / SAS , the card has 1gb cache this should be enough caching so i won't be thrashing the SSDs as cache.
I am thinking of getting  3 or 4 x Samsung 850 pro SSDs 120GB each summing up to 360-480GB 
(there's a system in place taking weekly backups allready and adding 480GB to it is nothing.)
Is this a very dumb move/wasting money? or would it get me the IOPS and throughput I desire :P and last for a few years??
(I heard the 850pro have a 40GB/day 10year warantee.)

ps. I do not have PCIe lanes free for a nvme card, else this would be my choice.

Edited by H00GiE