RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JP76

Right OS for my N54L?

JP76

Hi everyone.

I need your help here. I have a N54L with a SSD + 5x3Tb drives (one connected to the e-sata port). I've tried XPEnology and didn't really liked, so I'm looking for a decent OS to install. I've tried to install Win10, but it pretty much stopped booting after a couple of times. I'm not familiar with Linux and would prefer a Windows based OS, but I could try Linux if nothing else. Idea is to setup a RAID5 setup for backup/stream for the 5 HDDs and use it as a torrent client.

Thanks!

JP

Joe_Miner

FYI, in case you're still interested in Win10 on the N54L -- You'll need to make sure you have the latest HP stock BIOS (or a MOD based on that BIOS) to install Windows 8.1 or 10 on the N54L which is also required for WS2012R2 and S2016.

see: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14781-installing-server-10-windows-server-technical-preview-onto-my-n54l-microserver/

and see also: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5734-anyone-successfully-install-server-2012-r2-essentials-on-a-microserver-n36ln40ln54l/?p=72784

I have Windows 10 Pro running on N40L & N54L but you need the current BIOS

JP76

Hi Joe.

Thanks for your reply :) A few questions for you please:

With the latest firmware, will I still be able to use the internal sata port?

Can I use the currently installed modded firmware used for XPEnology?

Any concern on using the 4 disks in the bay + one disk connected to the e-sata port to create the RAID5 setup I was mentioning? 

What would be your advice for the Windows-based software to setup and manage the RAID? Use Windows itself?

Regards.

Edited by JP76

JP76

So, I was able to install Windows 10, but I can't seem to find the 4 RAID HDDs + the one connected to the e-sata port. I've tried to d/l the drivers for the storage device from HP's site but the Win2012 R2 driver utility refuse to install. Any ideas?

Edited by JP76

Joe_Miner

You can't see the drives in Windows disk management?  If you set up a RAID in Windows then you should see the drives in Disk Management.  Are you using a controller card for the RAID?

JP76

No, I can only see the HDD I'm using for OS (connected to the internal SATA port). I'm not using any RAID card. Shouldn't Windows recognize the drives connected to the 4 bays or the one connected to e-sata?

JP76

So, I've installed the modded BIOS and completed the configuration in the BIOS:

OnChip SATA Channel [Enabled]
OnChip IDE Type [iDE or Legacy IDE](1)
SATA IDE Combined Mode [Disabled] — sets Ports 4 & 5 to use AHCI
SATA EPS on all PORT [Enabled](2) — sets all Ports to be external SATA Ports
SATA Power on all PORT [Enabled]

Still, no HDDs detected whether in BIOS, whether in Windows. I've installed Windows Server 2012 to ensure it wasn't a driver issue, no lucky also...

schoondoggy

If the drives are not seen in the BIOS it is not a driver issue.

Can you hear the drives power up on boot? Did you change any of the power cabling to get power to the other drives?

JP76

I was able to have the 4 disks up and running. Seems it was pretty much lack of ability to have the SAS mini connector properly inserted :) One question though: I'm connecting the 5th disk (3.5'' HDD 2Tb WD Red) to the e-Sata port using one of these cables providing e-Sata to SATA/Power similar to this: 

https://www.amazon.com/eSATA-Combo-Port-Power-Manhattan-325752/dp/B0042HLHVI

Windows is not recognizing the disk... Could it be lack of power? Last step before I have my RAID-5 up and running...

Edited by JP76