RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Gen8 - Broken Temp sensor- now what?

PegLeg

I'm embarrassed to say I'm pretty sure I've broken the temp sensor on a new HP Gen8.

I finally succumbed, and bought an entry level Gen8 with G1610T & 4GB ECC RAM as the current cashback UK price was about the same a low end 2-bay Synology NAS like the DS216J. After a week of use, I decided to upgrade the G1610T CPU. I picked up a E3-1220L V1 at reasonable price from fleabay.

Watched the vids, read the manuals, and did the swap. Everything seemed fine on re-booting except Inlet Ambient temp was shown on first re-boot as -1C/42C on the HP boot screen. ILO4 was also reporting “Inlet Ambient Temp -1C”, the Fan speed had dropped from 15% to a mere 6%. On subsequent boots no ambient temp message appears.

I think, although I took care doing this pulling on the brown loop, I was a little clumsy detaching the temp sensor cable from the m/board and must have sheared the pins off on the white m/board socket - the socket itself is intact.

Am I right in thinking the system fan will now no longer ramp up/down as the ambient temp changes if the temp sensor is broken/detached?

Operating the Gen8 in “increased cooling mode” has raised the fan speed to 21% and the system temps and Hdd temps as shown by smartctl, appear to be well within upper limits.

In all the years I’ve been messing with computers at home, I’ve not had any major blunders like this. Maybe, I’m getting too old for this stuff.

I guess only time will tell if now have an expensive paperweight, or a functioning and reliable homeserver.

Expressions of sympathy gladly accepted, but please, no laughing aloud.

Not 100% sure but I would expect the fan to ramp up and down off of more than 1 sensor, would be a bit daft for it to only work from one given the number of sensors that are in the unit..

it will still ramp based on other temps

though it wont work quite as well due to not knowing the ambient temps

have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?

Yes, I did think at first I had not plugged it back properly. It was then I closely inspected cable end and m/board sensor socket and could see with a magnifying glass that the pins had sheared off. I've little hope of effecting a repair, don't even have a solder station etc. 

May be this is only a half-disaster, it all depends how the server behaves as the weather gradually gets hotter here in the UK.  I can only keep watch on the temps and keep my fingers crossed.  The server is not going to be heavily loaded and is in a well ventilated space.

It was meant to be a bit of a hobby project and function as central file server plus back up and run a couple of VMs.  It's running FreeNAS 9.10 for now as a test and I originally planned to load Debian/Ubuntu once I've sorted the ODD as a fifth SATA drive and may be even Proxmox out of curiosity.   I suspect none of these OS will be as well optimised as Windows as far as power usage and temps are concerned.   

The server has been powered on since early this morning and although the room temp has increased by around 7C and now roughly 22C, fan speed and system temps have stayed virtually constant under light load.  

CPU temps from freenas are: 

sysctl -a | egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp" 
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 35.0C

dev.cpu.2.temperature: 35.0C

dev.cpu.1.temperature: 37.0C

dev.cpu.0.temperature: 38.0C  

I'm discovering FreeNas (FreeBSD) really only operates with c-state C1, has only a crude "powered" implementation as opposed to the p-state driver in Linux, and is not using turbo-boost.   I may get better temps out of Linux.  

Thanks for your interest.  Current Temps with "Increased cooling" ad 21% fan speed are attached. 

Hp_sensors.jpeg

Edited by PegLeg

Go to a mobile phone repair Center with a bottle of Cola and 10$/€ (and of course with the m/board). Explain the situation and ask them to try to repair it.

If they are a little skilled, they should be able to repair it in no time.

Just don't ask stupid questions like: When will it be ready/How much is this going to cost me/Can't it be done faster than a few days/hours/minutes...

Let them do their magic and it should all be all right in the end.

Where abouts are you based chap, theres probably someone local with the skills to sort it.

Failing that iirc the sensor has a small tag/label on it, check for a replacement HP part number, or remove the sensor and post it to someone to fix maybe?!