RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Orbi Options

JROrtiz

I saw FCC filings on a different website a few weeks back.  This looks interesting as it will be more affordable.

The drawback to both of these new units is that they trade speed for their slimmer size. Netgear’s original Orbi kit has consistently been ranked the fastest multi-unit Wi-Fi system. Netgear says it has a top speed of 1.7 Gbps, but these new units max out at 867 Mbps. That may not be a problem if your internet provider doesn’t offer gigabit speeds, but it still suggests you’ll see worse performance.

CHEAPER AND SLIMMER, BUT SLOWER, TOO

The reason for the speed decrease is a drop in antennas, from 4 x 4 streams to 2 x 2 streams. But Netgear is still maintaining one of the features that kept Orbi so fast: its use of a third radio dedicated to communication between the routers. Even the wall plug-in maintains that third radio, which should allow for faster and stronger connections than two-radio systems, like Google Wifi or Eero, despite the top-speed reduction.

• Like 1

Size (to an extent) doesn't matter to me. Orbi works so well and has the most impressive performance than anything I have seen. Is good that Netgear is addressing other users who don't need all the speed. I am still waiting for the ASUS HiveSpot before I make my final decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Give me all of the Orbi's!  New ones ready to preorder.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/orbi/

Add-on Orbi "Wall-Plug" Satellite (RBW30)

This add-on Orbi wall-plug Satellite expands your Orbi Home WiFi System coverage by up to 1,500 sq. ft. with high-performance AC2200 WiFi. Bring high-performance WiFi coverage to every room of your home. Available in a wall plug form factor, for easy, hassle-free placement. Just plug the Satellite into any electrical socket to extend WiFi coverage.

Add-on Orbi Satellite (RBS40)

This add-on Orbi WiFi Satellite (RBS40) expands your Orbi Home WiFi System coverage by up to 2,000 square feet with high-performance AC2200 WiFi. Connect more wired devices using the 4 Ethernet ports on the Orbi desktop Satellite.

Add-on Orbi Satellite (RBS50)

This add-on Orbi WiFi Satellite (RBS50) expands your Orbi Home WiFi System coverage by up to 2,500 square feet with high-performance AC3000 WiFi. Connect more wired devices using the 4 Ethernet ports on the Orbi desktop Satellite.