RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

QoS Setup Question

itGeeks

I was wondering how many of you use QoS? What percentage of your total bandwidth do you use to tell QoS how much bandwidth you have? It seems there is no magic percentage number to use other then you should not give QoS 100% of your bandwidth, From what I see your should give QoS somewhere between 80-95%.

Never found much need for QoS in the past but now I am setting up my nice new Synology RT2600AC router and it's asking for my internet speed for "Traffic Control"

Thanks in advance....

Jason

I use in Sophos UTM 9.4. Set my upstream bandwidth to 90% of ISP. Since my speed tests are consistently rated above that. Will be anxious to hear how the RT2600ac works and QoS.

For now I've cancelled my order since UTM works so well for me and I've managed to control my IP count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itGeeks

Jason sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, I had decided to settle on 90% before posting my question so I am glad to see I made the rite choice. Not sure y everything I read says to set the bandwidth between 80-95% and not just a fixed percentage. So far I am pretty happy with the Synology router but I am also used to Synology NAS and there DSM so learning there router manager was no big deal. I am still tuning and playing with it. I did install there IPS package but I only have it in IDS mode rite now till I have more time to tune it so it does not cause me problems blocking things it should not. The reports a really nice as well. The only complaint I have now is when Web-filtering is enabled for a device it seems to use a diffrent DNS server from what I have configured, I have a trouble ticket in on this. The other problem I have is I am not getting my full upload internet speed, I am about 15% short but I am not to worried about this as I have FiOs 150/150 here. FYI I don't see anyway to configure more then one public IP address so I don't think this would of worked for you anyway.

Jason

Appreciate the feedback itGeeks. I currently have 6 static IPs for different devices behind my firewall. Don't always use all of them but would require at least more than one. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk