RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hid3nax

Memory for Microserver Gen8

MikeAroni
On 5/3/2019 at 12:10 AM, tinybilbo said:

Will do schoondoggy.

It takes 3-5 days to reach me after arriving my US address (delivery estimate 8th May).. So hopefully I should get them by the end of next week 🙂

Thanks again..

Keep us in touch ! I'm looking for an upgrade memory too and that's not easy to choose the right RAM. The HP memory is very expensive (if you can find a seller)... 

serdar13

I have these for sale on ebay at the moment that definatley work on the microserver but if anyone is interested I can sort something out cheaper:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173891915912

tinybilbo
Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2019 at 2:03 AM, schoondoggy said:

Let us know how they work out.

Just wanted to say thank you for your help Schoodoggy.

The memory finally arrived (had a sight delay), and it works perfectly.

Excellent value for for $30! (plus $10 delivery).

I have upgraded my Gen8 to 16gb & a Xeon E3-1240 v2 for less than $100!

I only run a Debian headless server with docker, so this will last for a few more years before it needs replacing.

Edited by tinybilbo
  • Like 1

tearservers

Please a question:

I buy this memory: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362329474833

New Samsung 8GB DDR3 2RX8 1600MHz PC3-12800E 240pin ECC Server Memory Unbuffered

This work in Micro Gen 8 ?

And , i have 1x 4gb , its possible put this and get 12gb working ?

serdar13

"tearservers" - the linked ebay item is ECC and will work but make sure your 4GB stick is PC3 and not PC3-L. If both are the same specification then all should be ok. PC3 = 1.5v and PC3-L = 1.35v.

cyberboblouth

Hey Guys,

When I bought my first Gen8 it came with 16GB, when I tried to install Windows I kept getting an error during install.  After some fiddling I dropped to 8GB and all went well.  This stick of memory that gave me hassle is pictured, any help with identification?  Would like to know if I am flogging a dead horse and its Registered or similar.

Mem.jpg

schoondoggy
9 hours ago, cyberboblouth said:

Hey Guys,

When I bought my first Gen8 it came with 16GB, when I tried to install Windows I kept getting an error during install.  After some fiddling I dropped to 8GB and all went well.  This stick of memory that gave me hassle is pictured, any help with identification?  Would like to know if I am flogging a dead horse and its Registered or similar.

Mem.jpg

Are both DIMMs the same?

cyberboblouth

They were the same, I think it's defective as while I can boot into Windows (just no installing Windows) I then later get a crash - NMI error.  That really upsets the Gen8, flashing amber light, settles down after a couple of re-starts.

I will stick with my 2x 4GB sticks for now until I find some good price 2x 8GB sticks

cyberboblouth
Torbj0rn
Posted (edited)

Yes:

ECC: Check

Unbuffered: Check 

<16gb: Check

As mentioned above, it's best to NOT to combine PC3L and PC3. So check what you have in your server, if you are going to combine the stick with another.

Edited by Torbj0rn